Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2014, 03:23 PM   #1

lense hood help (50-200mm lense for k-30)

I bought the Pentax 21870 DA 50-200mm F/4-5.6 AL Weather Resistant Lens and was told that normal lens hoods for the k30 will work. I bought a fotodiox hood and a RainbowImaging hood , but they are both slightly too big. can someone link a cheap-ish lens hood that will actually work for my lens?

04-29-2014, 03:30 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The lens should have come with a hood. This is the correct model:

Pentax PH-RBD 49mm Lens Hood 38765 B&H Photo Video

49mm generic screw-in hoods should also work.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-29-2014, 05:16 PM   #3
Site Supporter

If you search ebay for PH-RBD you should come up with knock-off bayonet mount hoods that are pretty cheap. But that hood at B&H is a pretty good price for a genuine hood.
05-02-2014, 05:17 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Unfortunately the knock offs don't fit very well and are prone to falling off. I tried two and both were extremely loose to the point one fell off and went over a cliff. A screw in rubber hood is adjustable and works great.

05-02-2014, 12:16 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
A screw in rubber hood is adjustable and works great.
...or even a rigid metal hood. The PH-RBD 49 is a simple design (non-tulip) that is tuned to the wider end. Something like this might work well at about half the price:

New Metal Tele 49mm Screw in Lens Hood Cap | eBay

OTOH, the price of the real thing is not too bad and has the convenience of the bayonet mount and can be reversed on the lens for storage. Still though, as Adam noted, the lens is supposed to come with a hood. Have you taken this up with the seller?

Steve
05-06-2014, 06:46 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
...or even a rigid metal hood. The PH-RBD 49 is a simple design (non-tulip) that is tuned to the wider end. Something like this might work well at about half the price:

New Metal Tele 49mm Screw in Lens Hood Cap | eBay

OTOH, the price of the real thing is not too bad and has the convenience of the bayonet mount and can be reversed on the lens for storage. Still though, as Adam noted, the lens is supposed to come with a hood. Have you taken this up with the seller?

Steve
For the price I recommend trying the metal hood!

I bought a lens hood from eBay for my DA35mm AL f/2.4 (49mm threads as well). It was a knock off of the Pentax rectangle type hood with clips that snap it on. One little bump and I mean little, knocked out one of the clips. I was disappointed to say the least as it was broken, a lens hood break! This happened just weeks ago.

I looked around and found metal lens hood at half the price of the plastic one, that screws right into the lens. The hood also has threads up front. I bought it and am so happy. There is no way this thing is going to break. Its solid metal. It screws onto the lens. The DA50-200mm WR has a 2" long round telephoto lens hood. No tulips, a slight expanding taper going to the front and a special door on the bottom you can take out to turn CPL filters. The bottom door is a feature most don't use on a telephoto. For the money its hard to beat metal that screws into your lens? Your situation is perfect for one (no tulips).

I have owned many lens hoods, from eBay no brand plastic, metal, Promaster tulip types, and OE equipment. OE is always the best. That is the real Pentax hood is made of strong plastic and designed just for that lens. The next best is Metal screw in lens hoods. They come in normal and telephoto lengths. Promaster also makes decent quality lens hood. Never broke one. Not sure if they make one for a telephoto. A telephoto lens hood does not have tulips type design up front, its just round.

Last edited by jamesm007; 05-06-2014 at 06:56 PM.