Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2014, 09:54 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
I also don't leave my equipment in the car as it becomes tempting for thieves.
If needed though, always remember that hot air goes up, so keeping your camera as low to the ground/floor as possible will keep it at its coolest. Never ever forget to cover it with shopping bags or keep it under the car seats to avoid eyes of thieves.
On that note though, be aware of where your catalytic convert and muffler system run. They can cause the floor to become uncomfortably warm in some vehicles, especially under seats or in a minivan with the seats removed.....
Probably not hot enough to actually cause damage on its own, but certainly not a good start when you're thinking of keeping things cool for any amount of time in the summer.

05-02-2014, 03:40 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Out of sight, out of mind. Your stuff is relatively safe if no one knows it's there. Even in many spots that have signs warning not to keep valuables in the car. But you can't let it be seen, even when you arrive, if possible.

It probably doesn't hurt that I buy used cars (usually 10 years old, but in nice condition with low milage) that don't look very tempting.
05-02-2014, 10:49 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
On that note though, be aware of where your catalytic convert and muffler system run. They can cause the floor to become uncomfortably warm in some vehicles, especially under seats or in a minivan with the seats removed.....
Probably not hot enough to actually cause damage on its own, but certainly not a good start when you're thinking of keeping things cool for any amount of time in the summer.
Good point! The heat may not affect digital tech but your film camera may not appreciate the heat coming from the exhaust system. My Hyundai's system warms my trunk on longer drives.
05-07-2014, 12:57 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've had a couple of convertibles, delightful on a warm evening in the South. After a little reflection I never left anything of value in the cabin, and never locked the vehicle. I'd rather have a thief open the door and rummage around than take a knife to the top. A camera bag went into the trunk, or with me, ideally.

05-08-2014, 07:29 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On the few occasions when I have left the camera in my truck, it stays in a pac safe duffel bag secured with chain and lock. Over the bag I'll throw an unfolded sleeping bag and several pillows. That's turned out to be pretty effective protection against the heat. Even so, I rarely will leave an expensive camera or lenses in the vehicle for any length of time.
05-08-2014, 09:29 AM   #21
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
I take my camera everywhere I go and never leave it in the car. If I'm stepping out to mail something at the post office or stopping in at a store to pick up fruit I sling my bag over my shoulder and in I go. I don't pack more than what I can keep in my DSLR sling bag.
+1

I carry my camera bag into cafes all the time. I never leave any equipment in the car other than a tripod.

Phil.
05-08-2014, 01:41 PM   #22

Can't take pictures if the camera is in the car! If I am bringing a camera, then it is to use. So I carry it on me. At least the camera. Get some surprising shots when I am shopping that I'd miss otherwise.

"The best camera/anything is the one you have with you!"
05-14-2014, 08:36 AM   #23
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Back in the 80's, when I used my film SLR, I had babies and toddlers, and two diaper bags wherever I went. The big diaper bag had baby stuff in it. Guess what was in the little diaper bag.

05-14-2014, 09:25 AM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by timmijo Quote
Back in the 80's, when I used my film SLR, I had babies and toddlers, and two diaper bags wherever I went. The big diaper bag had baby stuff in it. Guess what was in the little diaper bag.
Early 90's I also had a diaperbag (before the economy went south and manly shoulderbags were invented that looked like DBs). Mine only had diapers ;-) And a Film P&S occasionally. Did not realize that an SLR would make that much of a difference. Until now; except that the right P&S can be a good fallback. But the cheap ones did so horribly that I looked at the results and lost interest in photography.

A macro shot of my windshield after a really great storm. Monochrome with modified tone by new backup (Pentax WG-3)

No one may like it as I do - but it makes me take more pictures with it and my K-3 and makes a nice wallpaper!

The Photographer IS more important than the camera; BUT a good camera has more functions which a good photographer wants. Or so I imagine! Cause I'm not there yet ;-)

Last edited by Scotchman; 05-20-2014 at 01:39 PM.