Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2014, 10:03 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Camera storage in a car.

Hi,
How do you store your camera when you are out taking photo's and say you stop for lunch or have to run some errands etc. etc. say an hour or so. I know you are not supposed to store your camera in a hot car so where do you put it if you are in this situation. I do have it in a camera bag. Thank you in advance for the information.

04-30-2014, 10:32 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

In my sedan, if I know I am stopping somewhere in advance, I will put it in the trunk, under a blanket/towel for some added thermal insulation. I won't put the camera bag in the trunk once I get to my destination because I don't need the crooks to watch me moving my valuables. My trunk has an insulated lid and sides which definitely helps.

Sometimes I will put it on the rear floor of the passenger compartment, covered by one of those windshield sun reflectors, which definitely keeps the sun off the bag, and provides some amount of visual security too.

In either case, I've found that keeping the camera low in the car, in a padded camera bag, keeps the insides surprisingly cool.

If I am driving my van, it has some under-floor storage, which stays cool even longer.

I've done this plenty of times and the proof is in the temperature inside the bag. The thing you primarily want to keep cool is your lenses, those have some grease inside that you don't want to liquefy and spread over your aperture blades or onto the glass.
04-30-2014, 10:37 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
If you know it'll get hot, bring it with you. If your car has an enclosed trunk (boot), as opposed to a hatchback, you could put the bag in there since that space gets less warm than the greenhouse-like cabin. You could also consider getting a solar-powered cabin fan to exhaust the hot air out. But try to avoid leaving the bag in the cabin, since it'll attract less scrupulous persons looking for an opportunity.
04-30-2014, 10:56 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've pondered about this for some time but routinely keep my K20 or K5 on the floor in my car during the day. It's generally uncovered too. Never had a problem. That's not to say that I could have one in the future as I know my K5 get's cranky (mirror flops) when it's hot and the battery is full.

04-30-2014, 11:06 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I generally put my camera bag on the floor just behind the driver's seat, and toss a jacket or such over it to "hide" it. So far, so good. I don't move the gear when I get to my lunch or whatever destination, but before hand, so baddies don't see what i'm hiding.
04-30-2014, 11:14 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
In my sedan, if I know I am stopping somewhere in advance, I will put it in the trunk, under a blanket/towel for some added thermal insulation. I won't put the camera bag in the trunk once I get to my destination because I don't need the crooks to watch me moving my valuables. My trunk has an insulated lid and sides which definitely helps.

Sometimes I will put it on the rear floor of the passenger compartment, covered by one of those windshield sun reflectors, which definitely keeps the sun off the bag, and provides some amount of visual security too.

In either case, I've found that keeping the camera low in the car, in a padded camera bag, keeps the insides surprisingly cool.

If I am driving my van, it has some under-floor storage, which stays cool even longer.

I've done this plenty of times and the proof is in the temperature inside the bag. The thing you primarily want to keep cool is your lenses, those have some grease inside that you don't want to liquefy and spread over your aperture blades or onto the glass.
+1 exactly what Tanzer said.

The trunk stays much cooler than the inside of the car, and it's out of sight. I keep in under or wrapped in a small pile of jackets or towels, whether the temperature's hot or cold outside.

And if I need to move the camera and gear in and out of the trunk throughout the day, I try to remember to put it in the trunk as I'm leaving a location, not when I arrive at the next destination. That way no one has to notice if I have a bag full of gear in there; they may only see what I take out and take with me - which is often a camera plus one or two more lenses, kept in an ordinary, daypack-sized non-photo backpack.
04-30-2014, 11:24 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Our cars usually have plenty of dog towels and "stuff" in them, so placing the camera under said "stuff" is pretty much perfect camouflage...

04-30-2014, 11:55 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I take my camera everywhere I go and never leave it in the car. If I'm stepping out to mail something at the post office or stopping in at a store to pick up fruit I sling my bag over my shoulder and in I go. I don't pack more than what I can keep in my DSLR sling bag.
04-30-2014, 12:00 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Usually in my camera bag on the back seat (Mustang) or on the floor (Tahoe). Both have tinted windows which keeps direct sunlight (and prying eyes) off of the bag but the cars are black so they do get warm. I don't think I've ever left it in there more than an hour though so the padded bag seems to insulate it enough.
04-30-2014, 01:41 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Whe
QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
I've found that keeping the camera low in the car, in a padded camera bag, keeps the insides surprisingly cool.
Me, too. When it's really hot. I keep a (tightly closed) 2-liter bottle of water with the camera gear to serve as a heat sink.
04-30-2014, 02:18 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A cheap styrofoam cooler works well. Keeps cool and looks cheap lol
04-30-2014, 02:23 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
A cheap styrofoam cooler works well. Keeps cool and looks cheap lol

I learned that trick from my dad. Works great! (especially as he shot film for years.)
04-30-2014, 03:16 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I put my camera in it's padded bag in a large cooler chest which is in the trunk. This cooler is strictly for camera equipment. But I don't leave the camera and bag inside the car for long. I don't leave the camera bag in the car....invitation to break, entry and theft. I don't have anything in the interior...except the interior.

Loose change may be small potatoes to the driver...but you would be surprised what some punk will do...for a buck or two of change.
04-30-2014, 04:31 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yep, insulated cooler/chest. Looks more innocent than a camera bag and will keep camera safe from the heat for hours.
People will break in for small change, but maybe not for soda and sandwiches. :-)

Last edited by amoringello; 04-30-2014 at 04:40 PM.
05-02-2014, 09:33 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
I take my camera everywhere I go and never leave it in the car. If I'm stepping out to mail something at the post office or stopping in at a store to pick up fruit I sling my bag over my shoulder and in I go. I don't pack more than what I can keep in my DSLR sling bag.
I also don't leave my equipment in the car as it becomes tempting for thieves.
If needed though, always remember that hot air goes up, so keeping your camera as low to the ground/floor as possible will keep it at its coolest. Never ever forget to cover it with shopping bags or keep it under the car seats to avoid eyes of thieves.

I also never put it in the trunk as the trunk is the easiest to open and usually is not connected to the car alarm. The alarm would at least deter thieves a bit.