Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2014, 12:58 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sigma 17-70 C

I'd like the Sigma 17-70 Contemporary to go on sale again. Can someone please have a talk with Sigma for me? Thank you.

05-01-2014, 01:10 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I'm sure Sigma will launch more rebates after/during summer. History repeats itself

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-01-2014, 04:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
To got a little step further, I would like Sigma to donate 1 to me. I am sure to make good use of it and post many high quality photos (may or may not be of actual high quality) to help advertise its awesomeness (whether real or imagined)
05-02-2014, 06:31 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Com'on Sigma....time for a sale on this lens before vacation season starts!

05-04-2014, 05:29 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Probably not what you want to hear but it's unlikely you will see a sale or rebates until the fall unless sales of the lens are very poor.
05-05-2014, 12:15 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Maybe a little bit of a wait isn't such a bad thing for further evaluation. Although it seems to be a popular lens here, many reviewers say it is a bit weak at the wide end, especially in the corners. And, if you are going someplace with sweeping landscapes, that may be a bit of a demerit. But, who knows, maybe the experience of the users should count more than the pixel peeping of the reviewers.
05-05-2014, 03:24 PM   #7
Pentaxian

LOL... You can evaluate the reviewers till your blue in the face.... In the mean time I and others who use one on an almost daily basis and enjoy this lens will go on with the pleasure of using it regardless of what the reviewers say.
05-05-2014, 04:44 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I'm not really looking at this lens, but thinking about corners and wide angle, how often are the corners at 17mm really close to the plane of focus? You could look at 18mm shots from the kit lens and see whether you are likely to take such shots.

05-05-2014, 05:30 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
many reviewers say it is a bit weak at the wide end, especially in the corners.
It is, but not as bad as the 18-135 or the 18-55 kit.

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
LOL... You can evaluate the reviewers till your blue in the face.
I am just an owner and my experience to date is that there is a tendency for the edges to be (for lack of a better word) a bit smeary.* That, however, is not a fatal flaw, in my opinion. It is still works better than most other zoom options at this focal length. More disappointing from my perspective is the "shortening" of the lens at the long end with moderately close focus. The FOV at 70mm and 2m distance is about the same as my Pentax-K 55/1.8, so any extra reach over the kit is not available at portrait distance.

Still, though, it is a very, very decent performer and definitely the best value at its price range for Pentax-K. I like it and I am not letting go. I am planning a comprehensive review post at a later date.

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
how often are the corners at 17mm really close to the plane of focus?
Good point A lot of the time, reported softness is simply stuff that is out of focus.

Steve

* Wide-end performance full open is a little better than my Zenitar 16/2.8 Fisheye. Stopped down to f/5.6 the two are about equal and that is not a bad thing. Edit: I should probably qualify that the softness I am seeing is at relatively close distance, say a foot or two. The optical qualities of internal focus lenses such as the Sigma 17-70 may vary depending on focus distance.

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-05-2014 at 06:25 PM.
05-05-2014, 06:14 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I took this 17mm shot with the Sigma 17-70c on Saturday. It is stopped down but most of my 17mm shots are going to be landscapes which will generally be stopped down with whatever lens you would use. The edges are acceptable to my eye.

05-06-2014, 04:43 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hmmmm...looks like the users are winning out! Now, Sigma how about that sale? (I need incentive as I have v1).
05-06-2014, 07:40 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

They had a $50 instant rebate that ended 3/31. I bought mine in late January. Unfortunately, the best sales on lenses usually happen at the end of the year, between Thanksgiving and Christmas with some sales in late winter. Prices seem to rise every year in April. That also coincides with tax refunds and the end of the heating season (in the US) when people have a little more money freed up. Of course, you might find one in the Marketplace. People buy stuff all the time and then find themselves in trouble when the bills come due and sell it off.