Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2014, 02:39 PM   #1
Forum Member

shake reduction with full frame lenses

My question is: Shake reduction needs to know the focal length of the lens. If you are using a full frame pentax "F" series lens or similar, do you need to manually input the focal length to account for the crop factor? I'm sorry if this has been answered before, I did a search but did not find anything.

05-01-2014, 02:54 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No. With a F50mm, you enter 50 mm.
05-01-2014, 03:02 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Shake reduction compensates movement of the projected picture which is caused by shift/tilt/rotate movements of camera + lens.

Only the focal length of the lens decides the relation between camera movement and movement of the projected picture on the sensor.
How much area the projection can/could cover is irrelevant.
05-01-2014, 03:17 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Hiroshi Quote
My question is: Shake reduction needs to know the focal length of the lens. If you are using a full frame pentax "F" series lens or similar, do you need to manually input the focal length to account for the crop factor? I'm sorry if this has been answered before, I did a search but did not find anything.
Focal length is focal length, regardless of the format the lens was originally meant for. Just enter whatever it says on the lens, always, unless you're using a teleconverter.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-01-2014, 03:22 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
F lenses should automatically enter the focal length, as should A lenses (which are the non-AF predecessors to the Fs). You'll need to manually enter the FL for earlier Pentax and some third-party lenses.
05-01-2014, 03:23 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Crop factor is a function of sensor size whereas focal length is a physical property of the lens.
05-01-2014, 03:32 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
F lenses should automatically enter the focal length, as should A lenses (which are the non-AF predecessors to the Fs). You'll need to manually enter the FL for earlier Pentax and some third-party lenses.
No a lenses don't give any feedback if focal length.

Not sure about F lenses. FA for sue do.

05-01-2014, 03:39 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
shake reduction

Thanks to all of you for the answers. Makes sense that the motion correction is the same regardless of whether the image is cropped or not. One last question, when I use the "Check the shutter count" tab on this website and look at the exif data, it says "ShakeReduction On (15) ". What is the (15) telling you?