Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2014, 05:35 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kdf9511 Quote
I went by Bedford Camera today and picked up a blower. They looked at my sensor with the loupe and hit it with the blower and a lot of the dust was removed. She said if I blow it out a few more times it should be dust free. I was glad to hear that as they charge $99.00 for a sensor cleaning.
At $99, in addition to materials and labor, you are likely play into a self-insurance cookie jar for the employee who screws up by not following training. That or new toys for the shop owner.

How most blowers work is via a pair of one-way valves. Intake is at the opposite end of the squeeze bulb from the exhaust. Air is sucked in at one end and ejected at the other end. Between dust in the air and natural degradation of the bulb, you can accumulate particulates in the bulb - therefore three hints:

A- use the blower in as dust-free environment as possible.
B- give a bulb a couple good squeezes away from the camera before using it on the camera
C- put a filter on the bulb intake. I suggest a couple layers of coffee filter material. Many people have this material sitting in their kitchen cupboard. On Rocket brand blowers, the intake valve is extended from the bulb. I cut a rectangle of filter, fold it and attach it over the intake with a twist tie.

HEPA material would be better, but the coffee filter is inexpensive and seems to work well. You want to avoid material that won't allow for any airflow or will pass its own lint along with the air.

A final note. Any filter is going to slow down air flow into the bulb, but this will not in any way reduce the efficiency of the blower. The volume and pressure of the bulb's exhaust will be the same once the bulb is filled.

05-11-2014, 06:30 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
C- put a filter on the bulb intake. I suggest a couple layers of coffee filter material. Many people have this material sitting in their kitchen cupboard. On Rocket brand blowers, the intake valve is extended from the bulb. I cut a rectangle of filter, fold it and attach it over the intake with a twist tie.
RE: C.. In a majority of blowers air is sucked in from both the front and rear allowing a rapid fill of air in the bulb and the valve in the rear closes off to allow more air pressure out of the front nozzle. By putting a filter over the rear intake you are causing the front intake to suck in more air, which in essence would potentially suck in more dust through it if it was not filtered also. So for your idea to work efficiently you would need to filter both ends, unfortunately that would render the blower rather ineffective. I tried your suggetion on my Giottos Rocket Blower and another I own with the same results on both. However I find your ideas A & B very sound IMO.