Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2014, 03:33 AM   #1

K5 weather sealing?

If anyone knows pleas tell me if hot shoe cover is necessary to have for k5 to be weather sealed?
I'm shooting wedding today and rain is falling but I can't find that little plastic piece...(
Thnx to everyone in advance cause I will not be able to respond latter...

05-03-2014, 03:41 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
While it always gave me piece of mind to have it on, I've shot in rain far more without it than with it.

Don't worry about it

-Heie
05-03-2014, 03:44 AM - 1 Like   #3

Original Poster
Thanx Haie!
I've seen what abuse you have put your equipment through so I'll take your answer for granted)
05-03-2014, 05:14 AM - 1 Like   #4

Photos: Albums
I doubt it would make too much of a difference. If you look at the hotshoe with the cover on there are still gaps under the cover and in front where it meets the back of the pentaprism. These gaps are definitely large enough for water to still get through.

Also, if it makes you feel better, when I shot Canon my 7D and 5D Mark II didn't have hotshoe covers and they never gave me any problems. Hope that helps!

05-03-2014, 05:47 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

A while back, of course I can't remember where, I read that YES, that hot shoe cap is part of the WR system and should be used.
05-03-2014, 06:17 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It was (is?) Pentax Japan that said it on a Q&A on their website.
05-03-2014, 08:52 AM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
A while back, of course I can't remember where, I read that YES, that hot shoe cap is part of the WR system and should be used.
If it is part of the seal system, it is a very weak part. So, what happens when you are using one of the new WR Pentax flashes? I don't believe they have a special foot.

Steve
05-03-2014, 09:13 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Now owning the new 540 II WR, I've had the same question. The foot is metal now and fills the space that the plastic cover does on the hot shoe. So...I guess it's similar?

05-03-2014, 09:57 AM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Now owning the new 540 II WR, I've had the same question. The foot is metal now and fills the space that the plastic cover does on the hot shoe. So...I guess it's similar?
The tolerances are pretty close, but there are still the pin alignment grooves as a point of passage to the contact area. I would consider the cover as an element of first defense and a good thing to leave on I would also consider it a good place to look for trapped moisture should the camera take a splash at some point.

Steve
05-03-2014, 03:06 PM - 1 Like   #10

Original Poster
First of all thank you all for quick replys!
Second-K5 is wr without that plastic cover))
I had no choise but to put it to hard test cause I had to do this gig right and weather was more like a storm.
Wind and pouring rain but K5 and DA*50-135 are magic combination)
Exept for anoyingly slugish AF but that's another story.)
Once again big thanx and when in Zagreb let me know and we'll have a beer!
05-07-2014, 03:16 AM   #11

white cap

HI,

Does anybody know whether that whie cap which comes with the camera seals the lens mount properly?

Thanks.

---------- Post added 05-07-14 at 02:20 PM ----------

I posted the previous question because I wanted to PM a member and it is required to make atleast 2 posts prior to doing so.
Please excuse me if that was a stupid question. Still I would appreciate a genuine answer.

Thank you all.
05-07-2014, 01:57 PM   #12

Photos: Albums
I don't think it seals tight enough to be considered as weather sealing. It should prevent any large drops from getting in but I think some small amounts of water would probably seep in from the edges.
05-07-2014, 04:38 PM   #13
Pentaxian

My K5 has been in rain over the years ranging from drizzle to torrential downpours and even under the hose with no hotshoe cap and never had a problem.
(well, that is until it came back from service and the seals failed as if they didn't exist at all, under light drizzle).

Anyway, I wouldn't worry about the hot shoe cap.
It may protect a bit from an initial splash but as it does not make a complete seal, it is more than likely to wick water into spaces than actually keep water out.

Then again, as mentioned in another weather-resistance thread... I may have had unusual luck with tight seals and other's experiences may vary.

QuoteOriginally posted by ddkalu Quote
HI,
Does anybody know whether that whie cap which comes with the camera seals the lens mount properly?
Thanks.
I would not expect that to seal out water at all.

Last edited by amoringello; 05-07-2014 at 04:47 PM.
05-07-2014, 05:25 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Please for your sake don't try

QuoteOriginally posted by ddkalu Quote
HI,

Thanks.

---------- Post added 05-07-14 at 02:20 PM ----------

I posted the previous question because I wanted to PM a member and it is required to make atleast 2 posts prior to doing so.
Please excuse me if that was a stupid question. Still I would appreciate a genuine answer.

Thank you all.

Pentax does not implicitly or explicitly state the cameras lens mount cover is weather resistant. Only Pentax WR lens are stated to be able to be used in wet weather.

To use the cap for some type of test is going into the un-known and taking a very high risk. I highly recommend not to try. If you have no WR lens and just want to try your Pentax WR body in a rain; you can use plastic bags to cover the lens and especially the mount area. Make sure no water touches the lens to body connection. I did this on a trip to Niagara Falls with a K10D (really Samsung GX10) and kit lens. I would not risk my other lens.

Regards
05-08-2014, 03:04 AM   #15
Site Supporter

I always take the hot shoe cover off when I get my camera and have never had issues with weather sealing.