Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2014, 09:49 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It is very important to know if the screws are Phillips or JIS. At first glace they look similar BUT Phillips driver in JIS screw will strip the screwhead. JIS screws are common in the older Japanese lenses.

I got a set of JIS screwdrivers by looking on Amazon and searching for something like JIS screwdriver. There are not many suppliers, and I got one set of four tips and a handle for about USD15 and some trivial shopping cost (US to Australia). Nice way to use a $25 gift card I was given for a little recording job I did about online teaching for a University where I do some.

05-11-2014, 02:06 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
It is very important to know if the screws are Phillips or JIS. At first glace they look similar BUT Phillips driver in JIS screw will strip the screwhead. JIS screws are common in the older Japanese lenses.
Every boy (or girl) should have one of these
05-11-2014, 08:02 AM   #18

JIS drivers are compatible with Philips head screws. Where as Philips drivers are not completely compatible with JIS screws. Prior to adopting the JIS standard for lens manufacture single slotted screws were the usual norm. I think the switch over was late 60's early 70's.
05-11-2014, 12:14 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The Phillips head was earlier than that:
Henry F. Phillips - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Some technical detail about the difference:
When a Phillips is not a Phillips! : JIS - Japanese Industrial Standard

I cannot find a date for the JIS head design.