Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
05-05-2014, 07:18 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
K3 and photoshop cs2

Hi All , I just charged my new k3 battery and took a few photo in RAW DNG . took the card out put it in the laptop opened bridge and could see the file like I always do. but when I clicked on it it gave a error message , could not complete your request because its not the right kind of document . what do I need to do to make the DNG file open in cs2 thanks .

05-05-2014, 07:24 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The necessary camera RAW updates probably aren't available for CS2. You would need to upgrade to CS6/CC or a recent version of Lightroom to get the necessary updates, or use a different raw converter then open the jpegs.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-05-2014, 11:22 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxk10duser Quote
Hi All , I just charged my new k3 battery and took a few photo in RAW DNG . took the card out put it in the laptop opened bridge and could see the file like I always do. but when I clicked on it it gave a error message , could not complete your request because its not the right kind of document . what do I need to do to make the DNG file open in cs2 thanks .
The ACR in Photoshop CS2 (ACR 2.4 is the latest for CS2) supports version 1.1.0.0 of DNG. The K-3 (for reasons I don't understand) writes DNG version 1.2.0.0.

Try this: download the latest DNG Converter from the Adobe website, then convert the K-3's DNGs using "Change Preferences" to set "Compatibility: Camera Raw 2.4 and later".
05-06-2014, 09:24 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
The ACR in Photoshop CS2 (ACR 2.4 is the latest for CS2) supports version 1.1.0.0 of DNG. The K-3 (for reasons I don't understand) writes DNG version 1.2.0.0.

Try this: download the latest DNG Converter from the Adobe website, then convert the K-3's DNGs using "Change Preferences" to set "Compatibility: Camera Raw 2.4 and later".
Thanks Barry I have window vista and it said after I downloaded it that I needed windows 7 this is what I downloaded Adobe - Adobe Camera Raw and DNG Converter : For Windows : Adobe DNG Converter 8.4 I have vista 64 bit so I picked 64 on the cd that came with the camera . It starts to open for 1 seconds and then closes .

05-06-2014, 09:32 AM   #5
Dan
Pentaxian

Thanks Barry I have window vista and it said after I downloaded it that I needed windows 7 this is what I downloaded Adobe - Adobe Camera Raw and DNG Converter : For Windows : Adobe DNG Converter 8.4 I have vista 64 bit so I picked 64 on the cd that came with the camera . It starts to open for 1 seconds and then closes .
Adobe DNG converter 8.4 is not compatible with Vista. (See the "System Requirements.) You need to download Adobe DNG converter 8.3, which is the only version that is compatible with both the Pentax K-3 and Windows Vista. Here is the download page:

Adobe - Adobe Camera Raw and DNG Converter : For Windows : Adobe DNG Converter 8.3

Dan
(a Linux user )
05-06-2014, 11:57 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks Dan when I click on select folder in adobe 8.3 and then click on #1 which is select folder a select source folder pops up . when I see my DCIM file I click on that and then I see another file 100_0505 and when I click on that there's nothing in it . but I know there is because I can see it in cs2 but it just won't open it . Once I have selected the 100_0505 file I click on select at the bottom and it goes back to the first screen or main screen and it states that No images has be selected . How do I get the dng files to show up once I open the last file . And can you tell me why the new cd that came with the camera after I loaded it in the computer won't stay open . It opens for 1 second only . If I right click on the 100_0505 file and then click on explore I can see all the dng files . I just tried light room 2 and it opened the dng file's . can you convert dng files to jpeg in light room .

Last edited by pentaxk10duser; 05-06-2014 at 01:48 PM.
05-07-2014, 12:02 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
At some point the trade off of hours spent on software downloads and shoehorning new software into old operating systems becomes unfinancially sustainable as well as impractical. It may be time for a new computer system.

New cameras often bring with them the need for new systems just so they can process the larger files more efficiently.

05-07-2014, 06:57 AM - 1 Like   #8
Dan
Pentaxian

Thanks Dan when I click on select folder in adobe 8.3 and then click on #1 which is select folder a select source folder pops up . when I see my DCIM file I click on that and then I see another file 100_0505 and when I click on that there's nothing in it . but I know there is because I can see it in cs2 but it just won't open it . Once I have selected the 100_0505 file I click on select at the bottom and it goes back to the first screen or main screen and it states that No images has be selected . How do I get the dng files to show up once I open the last file . And can you tell me why the new cd that came with the camera after I loaded it in the computer won't stay open . It opens for 1 second only . If I right click on the 100_0505 file and then click on explore I can see all the dng files . I just tried light room 2 and it opened the dng file's . can you convert dng files to jpeg in light room .
I'm not sure why you are having problems with 8.3, but if you can open the dng files in Lightroom I would use that. You should be able to save the files as jpegs or tifs. I would save as a tif, and then edit the tif in Photoshop.

Dan
05-07-2014, 08:58 AM   #9

Original Poster
I think your right arjay , I just need to keep up lol . Thanks Dan I'll just need to figure out how to change dng to jpegs or tifs in lightroom and once I do that I can use my cs2 .
05-08-2014, 04:14 AM   #10

Original Poster
I found this video about dng changing them into jepgs
05-08-2014, 09:07 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
9 year old software that's available for free now… it's not terribly surprising that they're not supporting updates to it anymore.