Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
05-08-2014, 04:51 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
How do you save a k-3's dng to Jpegs

Hi all I just received my K3 and here are a few things I'm finding out. I was having trouble opening a raw file or dng file . I have window vista 64bit and the new cd program that comes with the camera won't open in vista 64 bit. even tho it has a 64 option Also the adobe dng converter 8.3 won't show the raw files from the camera ,and you have to have windows 7 before you can open adobe 8.4 . I did find out that with Vista if you have lightroom 2 it will open the raw files and I found this video on how to save the raw file after you do your adjusting to jpegs . this video is for lightroom 4 but it might be the same in lightroom 2 . I'm going to give it a try today .
I also found out that from the good people here that you need photo shop cs6 before you can open the raw files in it. because it will let you load the adobe 8.4 in to it . I have cs2 and it won't open in it . So I guess the best thing to do is upgrade to windows 7 or higher to be able to use the cd that comes with the camera or have windows vista 32 bit . That's all I know right now but if I found out anything else I'll let you know or maybe people that know what there doing will post something on this thread . Can anyone help me figure out why the new cd won't open in vista 64 bit I also found this video and its in lightroom 3
I just saved the dng from the k3 using lightroom2 and changed it into a jpegs and it worked great . And it was pretty easy after I watched the videos . Now I can use jpegs in cs2 .

Last edited by pentaxk10duser; 05-08-2014 at 07:01 AM.
05-08-2014, 05:10 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Try FASTSTONE image viewer.
It will open the DNG and first show you the embedded JPEG version. You can tweak that if necessary then save the JPG.
RAWtherapee may be a RAW developer solution for you too.
05-08-2014, 05:33 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photoshop should be able to do it no problem.
05-08-2014, 05:38 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
LR4 has no problem handling K-3 raw files and converting them to jpeg on my Mac. No experience with DOS boxes though.

05-08-2014, 09:07 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I'm strictly a Mac guy, but I have heard from several photographer friends that Vista is a very hostile environment for photography in general and raw files in particular. They have all either upgraded to Win7 or downgraded to XP.
05-08-2014, 02:31 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Rubbish.
05-08-2014, 03:10 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Steve, thank you for your contribution.

OP, I also recommend Faststone Image Viewer, it's my go-to software for post-processing. It is free and very easy to use. I drop a folder full of RAW images onto its icon, then when I mouse up to the top of the screen it displays all the images in the folder. Mouse to left edge screen, I get all the menus for pp. Right screen, exif data for the image I am working on.

Simple, free, and it gives good results. Perfect.

05-09-2014, 08:40 AM - 1 Like   #8
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Try FASTSTONE image viewer.
It will open the DNG and first show you the embedded JPEG version. You can tweak that if necessary then save the JPG.
RAWtherapee may be a RAW developer solution for you too.
The latest version of RAWTherapee works with the K-3 PEF files as well as the DNG files. Photoshop Elements 12's dumbed-down ACR also works with them.

The version of Faststone I have will get the jpeg out of the pef/dng files for the K3, just can't read pull the data from the PEF file (it does work with the K5 PEF files) (press A once an image is loaded for it to load the actual raw file).
05-09-2014, 12:47 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks you good people on this forum, I am learning so much. I'm going to give faststone a try . I swear with this new k3 I really don't need to do sh-t any more to photos like I did with my old k10d . The exposure and every thing is just so good . I like to put it in TAv mode and with the k10d the iso range was very limited ,photos over 200iso started to get noise. but this k3 is crazy clear even at high iso's that it picks . I have never had a camera this good before . I got a package deal with a grip and 32g 10 sd card , and a 5omm 1.8 for 1,295.00 so I just decided to get it ,I'm so glad I did . I payed 800.00 I think it was for the k10d back in 2006 ,and I can't believe for a few hundred dollars more in 2014 how much better the camera's are today . But one thing about the K10d it really makes you work for a good photo in the 100 and 200 iso range .I have learned a lot about photography because of that camera .I'm sure I'm going to have a bunch of other stupid questions coming up but I know I can get answers from you good people anytime . It's like I have a Pentax family .I really like this forum . Thanks again for your help Steve.