Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2014, 06:27 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
k 01 question

hello ... when turning on my (new) k01 (with selector set to auto mode) the camera is set up to take hd video. there is no immediate availability of taking photos. I did not set the camera up for this. my previous k01 (once turned on in auto mode) was all ready to take photos...and this (an immediate availability to take photos) has been the norm with all cameras owned. I have made no alterations within the menu. naturally I would like (once turned on) the immediate availability of taking photos. is there a setting to correct this? perhaps there is a fault? your help would be appreciated. anticipated thanks

05-08-2014, 07:13 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hi! I suggest you to reset your camera and try again. I just checked my K-01 - and if I set the mode selector to auto and then turn on the camera, it does what it suppose to do. Ready to take photos. I will try to reproduce your "error" - if I find out that is a sort of setting - I'll let you know.
05-08-2014, 07:29 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's a notorious problem that the mode dial on some K-01s comes loose and falls off. Maybe yours did at some point and it was incorrectly reattached. Turn the dial one click clockwise to the SCN setting; does that put it in Auto mode? Turn the dial back to the Video setting; does that put it in P mode? If so, the dial is off by one setting. You'll either have to pry off the dial and re-glue it in the right position, or, if it's glued on permanently now, you'll have to paint out the black dot on the body and mark a new one just forward of it (felt-tip marker?). Or get used to remembering that the actual mode setting is the one just clockwise of the indicated one.
05-08-2014, 08:20 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Caver Quote
Hi! I suggest you to reset your camera and try again. I just checked my K-01 - and if I set the mode selector to auto and then turn on the camera, it does what it suppose to do. Ready to take photos. I will try to reproduce your "error" - if I find out that is a sort of setting - I'll let you know.
thank you

---------- Post added 05-08-14 at 04:35 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by nparsons13 Quote
It's a notorious problem that the mode dial on some K-01s comes loose and falls off. Maybe yours did at some point and it was incorrectly reattached. Turn the dial one click clockwise to the SCN setting; does that put it in Auto mode? Turn the dial back to the Video setting; does that put it in P mode? If so, the dial is off by one setting. You'll either have to pry off the dial and re-glue it in the right position, or, if it's glued on permanently now, you'll have to paint out the black dot on the body and mark a new one just forward of it (felt-tip marker?). Or get used to remembering that the actual mode setting is the one just clockwise of the indicated one.
thank you for your reply.
when I put the camera in to all its modes they ARE the correct modes..so there is (I'm supposing) neither a previous or current (wrongly assigned) selector switch issue.
will try to reset the camera and see if that cures the problem. ther problem is somewhat erractic in that sometimes (once turned on) it IS in photo mode and other times it is in movie mode.

Last edited by stefan22; 05-08-2014 at 08:40 AM. Reason: correction
05-08-2014, 08:54 AM   #5
Pentaxian

when you turn the camera on - and it happens to be in "video" mode, what does that mode-dial pointing at? Does your mode dial knob become loose at some point (or evidence of it)?
05-08-2014, 09:08 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
when you turn the camera on - and it happens to be in "video" mode, what does that mode-dial pointing at? Does your mode dial knob become loose at some point (or evidence of it)?
thank you for your reply.
when turning the camera on (in auto mode) it is sometimes in a photo taking mode and other times it's in a movie taking mode. it's an erratic problem (if it is a problem).
when turning the dial to ALL other modes they are each assigned correctly. if I turn it to p it's in p mode. if I then turn it back to auto it always takes me into a photo taking mode.
the (assigning) problem is when turning the camera on.
05-08-2014, 10:39 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Odd. I would suggest the standard things. Remove the battery, charge the battery and leave it out of the camera overnight. Make sure the lens mount and all of the contacts are nice and clean. Press the "reset to defaults" setting. Update the firmware to the latest one.
05-08-2014, 01:19 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Odd. I would suggest the standard things. Remove the battery, charge the battery and leave it out of the camera overnight. Make sure the lens mount and all of the contacts are nice and clean. Press the "reset to defaults" setting. Update the firmware to the latest one.
thank you for your reply
will try all that you suggest