Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2014, 11:06 AM   #1

barrel extension issues on Pentax DA 55-300mm, lubrication issue?

Hello all,

I have been having issues with my Pentax DA 55-300mm zoom lens and hope that someone on this forum might be able to give me some advice. About 2 years after purchasing this lens, and with moderate use I noticed that the zoom function/barrel extension on this lens has become sticky/poorly responsive which makes it difficult to use when photographing wildlife in the field.

Now I am not really sure what causes this issue, and I initially thought that despite taking relatively good care of the lens, the extending portion became slightly bent and was rubbing in a way that caused the zoom to be sluggish whilst zooming in or out (this still may be the case). However also I noticed that this is not always the case, and sometimes during use the lens functions much worse than others. I have been working a lot in the tropics and find that in the heat the zoom seems to stick a lot more, but after a period of not using it seems to recover slightly.

I am not sure what would cause this other than a lubrication issue, with the barrel extension possibly ceasing up during use in very warm environments. If anyone here has ever experienced this, has any ideas what could be causing this issue, or knows of any potential solutions short of replacing the lens (I don't currently have the funds to do so) I would be very happy for any ideas you can give that might help me out.

Cheers

05-09-2014, 12:26 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mine got damaged last year and it clicked and caught and hesitated when zooming - I sent it to CRIS for repair, and it cost about half what a new used lens would cost. They fixed it well, calibrated it against their reference and it's WAY better than it was originally, the focus is much sharper.

I doubt it's a lubrication issue, the plastics used in these lenses are "self lubricating" so you don't need oils mucking things up.