Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2014, 08:48 PM   #1

*istD backup battery

Well this is becoming an addiction. Two weeks ago I looked at an *istD at a pawn shop and passed on it as it seemed to have a shutter problem. I went back today to recheck it as the girl there said they were going to mark it down and sell it as is. Well I ended up getting it with an FA 35-80 lens for 25 bucks. I figured that lens would be ok for carrying in the company car. I thought maybe it was a battery issue and tossed in a fresh set of aa's and it works just fine

Now for my question. It's missing the battery cover for the watch type battery on the bottom. How important is this battery? I will start looking for this door on eBay and where ever else I can find it.

Since this camera works I want keep it in my company car as I cruise around Southwest Oklahoma every night. I've had a few times I wished I had a good camera with me.

Last edited by kdf9511; 05-10-2014 at 11:31 PM.
05-10-2014, 09:44 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the backup battery is for the date stamp feature, at least that's what it does on digital.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-10-2014, 11:32 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I think the backup battery is for the date stamp feature, at least that's what it does on digital.

This one is the digital model. I forgot the D. Corrected first post.

If that's all it does then I'm not that worried about it.
05-11-2014, 12:50 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by kdf9511 Quote
This one is the digital model. I forgot the D. Corrected first post.

If that's all it does then I'm not that worried about it.
The backup battery is just for the date and time, then. But isn't it internal? I don't recall anything about a second battery door.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-11-2014, 03:50 AM   #5
Site Supporter

The backup battery is just for the date and time, then. But isn't it internal? I don't recall anything about a second battery door.
The *istD has a CR2016 battery in the bottom. I checked mine last week for another forum thread.

I can't take a pic as I'm not at home but here's one from imaging-resource.com

05-11-2014, 05:24 AM   #6
Site Supporter

You might see if a battery door from another type of device that also uses the cr2016 would fit.....I know several of my cycling computers use the cr2016 battery...the doors might be interchangeable....I'm not sure, but might be worth a shot.

Of course if you have a local camera repair shop that might be a good first start....or CRIS, the Pentax repair site in Arizona. Although I recall seeing a post that they are no longer selling parts directly to consumers....I think I'd drop them an email and see if they can help you out.

Good luck....the D is a tad older, but I loved mine and it's since been passed on to another member on this forum....

mark

Last edited by forensicscientist; 05-11-2014 at 04:58 PM.
06-05-2014, 08:50 AM   #7
Site Supporter

The backup battery is just for the date and time.
Apparently, according to this thread, the battery also holds the user settings.
06-05-2014, 09:18 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tomwil Quote
Apparently, according to this thread, the battery also holds the user settings.

I saw that. I'm still having some other issues with this right now. I put a brand new set of lithium CRV3's in it and it it ran fine for about 2 weeks and now won't turn on unless I swap those out for a set of rechargeable aa's. The Lithium's didn't even have 150 shots on them.