Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2014, 04:49 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
DNG file from k3 opens in cs2 after imported from lightroom2

I have a question .If I try to open a DNG file from my k3 in cs2 it won't open it and it gives me a cannot complete because its not the right kind of document . But when I open lr2 and I import the dng files and open the dng files that were saved from lr2 in cs2 they will open . whats going on . why can I open the dng files once lr2 imports and put in the lr2 folder it made in my picture folder . but I can't open the dng file from the card or a folder I send the dng's to. What is lr2 adding in the dng file that lets cs2 open it from the folder it puts it in my picture folder in the computer. Sorry What is lr2 taking away from the file the file from the camera card is 39.06 and the file from the folder lr2 made is 31.8. on the same picture or dng file .

Last edited by pentaxk10duser; 05-11-2014 at 06:02 PM.
05-11-2014, 06:32 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, that's about the size of a 3 or 4 star JPEG, so it's probably taking away the full-rez embedded JPEG.

With software that old you'll never get native PEF support, so you're stuck with this or some other workaround if you don't want to upgrade.

Last edited by DSims; 05-11-2014 at 08:03 PM. Reason: typo
05-11-2014, 07:05 PM   #3

Original Poster
Dsims is there a way I can open the dng file and delete the full-rez embedded jpeg. And if thats the only thing that makes it so cs2 won't open it why is it there in the first place. I'm shooting the file in raw or dng format. and not dng jpeg combination . just dng. Isn't that what the converting programs do is change a dng file into a jpeg format. The lightroom program is changing the dng file from the k3 in some way that lr2 and cs2 can oped it . I was just wondering what was being changed . My cs2 uses adobe 8.3 converter to open dng and it would open the dng file on my k10d . but 8.3 wont open the k3's dng file in windows vista 62 bit . nor will Adobe 8.4 converter download into window's visia 64 bit the download said it needed to be window's 7 So I think whats happening is lightroom2 has the new 8.4 downloaded and is using it to open the new k3's dng file . And that the new 8.4 is taking something out to allow lr2 and cs2 to open it . I haven't been using lightroom 2 but now I am and I'm liking it a lot and know I now I can use the dng file that lightroom2 stores in cs2 .
05-11-2014, 07:45 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxk10duser Quote
Dsims is there a way I can open the dng file and delete the full-rez embedded jpeg. And if thats the only thing that makes it so cs2 won't open it why is it there in the first place. I'm shooting the file in raw or dng format. and not dng jpeg combination . just dng. Isn't that what the converting programs do is change a dng file into a jpeg format. The lightroom program is changing the dng file from the k3 in some way that lr2 and cs2 can oped it .
That was just a guess based on the file sizes. I can't tell you for sure that was it, but my guess is it was that plus maybe some other things.

I think it's time to do some software upgrades. Start with the OS. As long as you can deal with the sometimes quirky interface, Windows 8 (now 8.1) is the best Windows yet. Its memory footprint is smaller than Windows 7 (which was already a better OS than Vista) so you have no excuse - you don't even have to upgrade your hardware.

Then you can at least run the latest DNG converter from Adobe.

Owning the latest camera with old software is a headache-inducing proposition.

Personally, I use PEF files directly into Capture One. I then use Photoshop CC if necessary. Occasionally I'll bring a PEF file directly into PS CC, but usually it goes through Capture One first. Once you upgrade your OS you'll have a number of options available to you.

I suppose you could also get Capture One, DxO Optics, or one of the other alternatives that still supports Vista.

Last edited by DSims; 05-11-2014 at 07:55 PM.
05-11-2014, 08:08 PM   #5
Pentaxian

why is it there in the first place. I'm shooting the file in raw or dng format. and not dng jpeg combination . just dng.
All raw files have an embedded JPEG and always have. It's what you see on your camera LCD screen. RAW isn't a picture yet.

The latest RAWTherapee supports K-3 DNG.
05-11-2014, 08:16 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
The latest RAWTherapee supports K-3 DNG.
(Steve didn't mention it, so) just in case you weren't aware of this, RAWTherapee is free.
05-11-2014, 09:06 PM   #7

Original Poster
Dsims are you saying I can load windows 8 into my sony laptop that has windows vista 64 bit in it and I don't have to worry about the drivers and hardware working in windows 8 . How will I know once I do the upgrade that cs2 will load into the windows 8 .
05-11-2014, 09:55 PM   #8
Pentaxian

They're saying you need to update your OS and software. CS2 is nine years old. You can't expect a nine year old piece of software to be forwards compatible with the latest versions of DNG without updates. CS2 has not been supported for a number of years - there are no new updates.

Lightroom is just able to save the DNG in a version that is compatible with CS2

05-11-2014, 11:33 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Dsims are you saying I can load windows 8 into my sony laptop that has windows vista 64 bit in it and I don't have to worry about the drivers and hardware working in windows 8 . How will I know once I do the upgrade that cs2 will load into the windows 8 .
There's a possibility of driver problems on a laptop, although a Vista era model has a reasonably good chance of being OK. Microsoft lets you get a good idea of compatibility ahead of time by scanning your computer here: Windows Compatibility Center

You may also want to take a look at Sony's support site to see if they have Win 8 drivers for your model, but keep in mind that Microsoft may have all the drivers you need built-in to Windows 8 already.

If it looks sketchy you can just go with non-Adobe software, like I mentioned before. But I think Win 8.1 has a good chance of working for you.
05-12-2014, 04:49 AM   #10

Original Poster
Ok thanks DSims I'm going to look into that .
05-12-2014, 07:26 AM   #11

Original Poster
Not a number , I know I should get up to date on everything . I don't know how a dng file is put together , or how it works, or why lightroom would change a new kind of dng file thats in my k3 back into the older type dng so lightroom can use it . Is there something in the new lightrooms that uses something thats in the new dng files to make thing better or are all the new lightrooms converting the new dng files back into the older types of dngs. If someone has a new lightroom would you try something for me and let me know this. If you have a k3 take a photo and import it into the new lightroom , and open the dng file in the place where lightroom saves it and look at the size of it and then look at the same photo and look at the size of the file on the card . And let me know if the card dng file is bigger and by how much. I'm wanting to know if the new lightrooms are using more of the dng file from the k3 dng file or is the new lightrooms taking thing out and making them 8 mb less like its doing on my old lightroom2. If on the new lightroom dng file it saves is less than the the cameras dng file then theres nothing in the new version of dng fils that lightroom is using. And its making the new dng just like the 9 year old dng file. There has to be a reason that pentax changed the insides of the dng file .Maybe the new lightrooms aren't taking advantage of whats in the new version of dng files . Maybe only the software that pentax gives you with the camera is using whats in the new version of dng file. and maybe you get a sharper and more colorful photo and be able to changes more thing in that software than you can from the ones thats deleting things and making it a smaller file . I can try this my self , I'm going to load a photo into the new software that came with my k3 camera and see if the dng file is the same on the card and it is once it opens in the pentax software . I'm also going to download the newest RAWTherapee and compare the file sizes there also . I know the questions I have ask are probably the stupidest questions anyone has ever seen but If anyone will know the answers people on the forum will know the answers . I don't know why I'm like the way I am but I just have to know the way thing work . I'm 55 and when I was a small child I would take apart anything that was electrical like remote control tv controller , my dad all most killed me over that one ,remote control cars ect. I took apart every toy I got just to see how it worked .I'm a dental lab tech so I make things like dentures, partials , crowns ,bridges anything to do with inside the mouth from raw materials and turn them into a useable appliance. A friend of mine that workes in computers told me I should look into computer programing if I wanted to know the answers to thinks I have ask him so I guess that my next thing on my list lol. Thanks for your help in advance Steve
09-12-2014, 01:46 PM   #12

Original Poster
Thanks Steve Ledger the RAWTherapee is great .Thank you .