Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2014, 11:28 AM   #1

*istD Problems

Well it turns out my $25 pawn shop special isn't a great of a deal as I thought it was. I got a chance to sit down and RTFM yesterday and play with it a bit and have found that it has the known battery issue where it doesn't show a full charge with fresh rechargables or brand new Enegizer Ultimate Lithum AA's. I haven't tried a set of CR3's yet though. But the bigest issue is it will not shoot a picture if the flash it popped up. Also in auto mode the flash will not pop up on it's own when it is needed. I got it to shoot by setting the option to take a picture while the flash is charging in the options menu with the flash up but that was it. I haven't tried an external flash on the hot shoe yet as I don't have one. Hopefully that will be the easy way around this little problem.

Does anyone know if this is a easily fixed issue? I'm an electronics tech and have no problems taking it down to doing board level component repair myself. It's not really worth it to me to send if off for reapir as I didn't spend much on it and also have a K200D.

This thing takes some nice pictures as long as you have enough light, so if I can't get a working flash it my just be a daytime camera. I may even end up giving it to my 10yr old boy for taking along on his Boy Scout events instead of his little point and shoot.

05-12-2014, 12:50 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Try CR3s - I always got best performance with my *istDS using CR3s
05-12-2014, 01:23 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Let me know what you find out, if anything. My wife's *ist D developed that problem. The thing is, it was fine the last time she used it. Now, it shows the batteries are depleted even when I put freshly charged ones in. She had bought a Q a while back and had been using that as her main camera, so she took the batteries out of her *ist D because she wasn't sure when she'd use it again and she didn't want to risk them purging on her. I read that there's an internal battery that can lose its charge over time and that seems like the logical thing that may have happened to her camera. Even though it's showing the batteries as dead, I've been leaving them in the camera in hopes they may charge the internal battery over time and let it start working again. It would be a shame to stop using it. It was a fine camera.
05-12-2014, 02:28 PM   #4

Original Poster
As far as I can tell there isn't an internal battery in the *istD. It's a coin type cell that's on the bottom of the body. Mine is missing that battery as the door/cover to hold it in is missing. I know that battery is the backup for the date/time.

One other thing I noticed was that when I read the EXIF data the shutter count came up as unknown. Did the *istD have a shutter counter?

05-12-2014, 03:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
As long as the hot shoe works, you could just get an external bounce flash. I'm not a fan of built-in flash anyway. Even if the built in flash is dead, for $25 it's still a steal.
05-12-2014, 09:12 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
As long as the hot shoe works, you could just get an external bounce flash. I'm not a fan of built-in flash anyway. Even if the built in flash is dead, for $25 it's still a steal.

I am hoping it works once I get my hands on an external flash.
05-12-2014, 09:39 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by kdf9511 Quote
As far as I can tell there isn't an internal battery in the *istD. It's a coin type cell that's on the bottom of the body. Mine is missing that battery as the door/cover to hold it in is missing. I know that battery is the backup for the date/time.

One other thing I noticed was that when I read the EXIF data the shutter count came up as unknown. Did the *istD have a shutter counter?
I've never been able to get a shutter count off of my *istD, no matter what I tried, where I looked or what website I used.
05-13-2014, 09:59 PM   #8

Original Poster
Ok, I stopped by K-Mart and got a set of Energizer CRV3 Lithium's for it. I dropped them in at about 6:00pm. I took about a maybe 15-20 pictures with it between 6 and 9pm tonight. When I got back home at 11:30 it reads them as totally discharged and won't even power on all the way. I put the rechargeable AA's I took out of it back in and it did power up. I even tried the holding the flash button while turning it on and it did seem to power up that way but wouldn't snap a pic. Looks like I need to do some more research to find the cause of this problem and see if I can fix it.