Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2014, 08:24 PM   #1

K30 has problem when first shoot

hi i have problem with my k30, when first camera start on, then take shoot the result is always dark, but the second and others will fine, can you help me with his problem

thanks
bram

05-12-2014, 08:51 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Is the instant preview also dark?
You could try resetting the camera.
05-12-2014, 09:01 PM   #3

Original Poster
yes sir steve, the instant preview dark, which setting do you mean sir?, but the second shoot is setting the same with first shoot, but the fist shoot always dark
05-12-2014, 09:08 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can you post both photos, via the attachment system & straight out of camera so that we can see the metadata?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-12-2014, 09:11 PM   #5

Original Poster
okok sir adam later i will post the both photo, thanks
05-12-2014, 10:37 PM   #6
Pentaxian

It also sounds like you have the camera set for exposure bracketing. Check the exposure modes and set it to single shots.
05-13-2014, 09:07 AM   #7

Original Poster
sir this the result photo

thanks
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
05-13-2014, 09:51 AM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The image isn't completely black, but it appears severely underexposed.

Either your shutter has an issue, or there's something wrong with your memory card. Try formatting it in camera to see if that fixes things. Also, do you get the same problem when shooting raw?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-13-2014, 04:17 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The image isn't completely black, but it appears severely underexposed.

Either your shutter has an issue, or there's something wrong with your memory card. Try formatting it in camera to see if that fixes things. Also, do you get the same problem when shooting raw?
already try to formating the memory card in the camera and change the memory card too, try shoot with raw but the result still the same sir adam

thanks
05-13-2014, 05:28 PM   #10

Original Poster
i think this thread talking the same problem

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/120-general-technical-troubleshooting/229...problem-3.html
05-13-2014, 05:28 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Those images have been opened/edited/resaved with Photoscape software.
I think Adam asked for them 'straight out of the camera'
05-13-2014, 05:33 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Those images have been opened/edited/resaved with Photoscape software.
I think Adam asked for them 'straight out of the camera'
how can i post straight out of the camera meanwhile the manage attachments only allow 1280x800 pixel, the real photo is bigger than that
05-15-2014, 06:49 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Looking at the exifs, the iso shutter speed and aperture are the same in both. This says the camera thinks its exposing both identically.

The exif also shows that the file size is quite different, this suggests that the level of detail in both is quite different although the scene and content is identical. This is consistent with severe underexposure.

How can the same scene be underexposed in one image while correctly exposed in the other while all settings and lighting remain the same.

The answer that is most likely is the known fault with this model, whereby the camera closes the shutter intending to close down to the correct aperture, but instead of f2.8 or f4 it closes all the way down to minimum aperture of f16 or f22 or whatever it may be. It only affects random images and other images are unaffected.

This is a camera fault requiring shutter/aperture control mechanism replacement if this is the issue.

Try a different lens just in case its the aperture actuating mechanism in the lens that's at fault, but I suspect its a camera repair that's needed.

Test this theory by pointing the camera at yourself and examine the iris as you take repeated shots. If im right you will see some will be partially stopped down, and some will be fully stopped all the way down.
05-15-2014, 07:09 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Imageman Quote
Looking at the exifs, the iso shutter speed and aperture are the same in both. This says the camera thinks its exposing both identically.

The exif also shows that the file size is quite different, this suggests that the level of detail in both is quite different although the scene and content is identical. This is consistent with severe underexposure.

How can the same scene be underexposed in one image while correctly exposed in the other while all settings and lighting remain the same.

The answer that is most likely is the known fault with this model, whereby the camera closes the shutter intending to close down to the correct aperture, but instead of f2.8 or f4 it closes all the way down to minimum aperture of f16 or f22 or whatever it may be. It only affects random images and other images are unaffected.

This is a camera fault requiring shutter/aperture control mechanism replacement if this is the issue.

Try a different lens just in case its the aperture actuating mechanism in the lens that's at fault, but I suspect its a camera repair that's needed.

Test this theory by pointing the camera at yourself and examine the iris as you take repeated shots. If im right you will see some will be partially stopped down, and some will be fully stopped all the way down.
Thanks sir for the advice, i already try with different lens, but the result is still the same, but the problem now resolved, i try using aa battery converter, now the result is normal, but still become my big question is it my k30 need the big voltage for the first shutter or my litium battery are broken (i have 2 litium battery both the same with the result) but i use in my KR the result is normal....

Thanks for all attention

regards.
05-15-2014, 02:22 PM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This is revealing, 2 lithium batteries failing at the same time and yet they both work well on another camera, and the problem goes away with a battery converter.

Are you saying you are supplying extra power to the camera in a slightly higher voltage converter/battery pack and it works fine then?

Lets assume you are and ponder how the aperture might be controlled.

Could it be a stepped voltage with aperture settings corresponding to voltage settings? The camera closes the aperture and then it opens to the aperture it wants to use by setting the voltage corresponding to that aperture?

We might further muse that if a component is going bad it might misbehave until it heats up, and give a wrong voltage to the aperture actuator for the first frame, but after that its up to working temperature and then behaves itself, until you put the camera down for a while and the component cools down and the behaviour begins again next time.

This could explain why the first frame is dark but after that its ok and it can explain why a different voltage from the power source changes its behaviour.

Further testing is needed.

Obtain a different known good battery and see if that also shows the bad first frame behaviour.

Have the voltages tested of the batteries and the battery converter/pack you say works ok with the camera.

Last edited by Imageman; 05-15-2014 at 02:26 PM. Reason: spelling errors