Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2014, 09:15 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Suggestions for next lens.

I'm thinking of getting a new lens. I have 2 kit lenses, the DA 18-55, the DA 50-200 and a Sigma 70-300. I'm looking for an all around every day lens. Can I get some suggestions please. Thank you in advance for the advice. Sorry, I have a K30 and my budget is probably under $300 dollars.

Last edited by New 2 This; 05-13-2014 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Lack of information.
05-13-2014, 09:23 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Budget?
Use?

All around, every day can mean a lot of things to different people. For a step up from the kit lens but still quite reasonable try the DA 18-135. My wife's combo is DA 18-135 and DA 55-300. I would think that would be somewhat of an upgrade over your current three lens kit.

If you really want to move up then look at DA*16-50 and DA*60-250.

And of course many will chime in with their favorite prime lens. Best answer you are going to get without more information on what your budget and priorities are.
05-13-2014, 09:24 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A lot of people will suggest the DA 35mm f2.4. You could save yourself a lot of time reading all the replies, buy it now!
05-13-2014, 09:33 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Which camera do you have?
Are you looking for weather resistance?
Are you interested in prime lenses?
Do you want aperture or zoom range?
How important is focusing speed?
Size of lens?

Are you prepared to spring for a 15 limited? The lens that brings endless joy...

05-13-2014, 09:44 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Besides all the sage advice in this thread, you will in part be winging it. Don't worry a lot about it. When you just start out, you have to take a few risks to figure out what you really need. The important part is to use the new lens a lot, for what it was built for. Then if you like it, keep it. If not, sell and get something else.

Example: you don't have an ultrawide zoom, so maybe get a 10-2x mm (exact model unimportant for my point). Take some shots, look at other people's shots, try to imitate techniques you like, take the lens everywhere, ask questions, compare it to stitched panoramas, etc. Wring the lens out for a month. Deciding to sell is hard but especially if you haven't used the lens enough.
05-13-2014, 10:03 PM   #6
Pentaxian

You could get the Sigma 17-70 and get rid of the 18-55 and 50-200.
05-13-2014, 10:11 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I like SpecialK's idea, especially if you get the Sigma 17-70 f2.8 Contemporary.

I am thinking of getting one to supplement my DA ltd's and because my wife is hogging the 18-135.

05-13-2014, 10:23 PM   #8
Site Supporter

My suggestion would be for you to find out what your favorite focal lengths are and buy a used prime or two, in your most used lengths.

There's a free windows program here to let you find that out.

Vandel.nl the homepage for Wega2 the Image Viewer and Exposureplot the Exif Analyzer utility

Get the exposureplot program

That should help you decide and keep you within budget as long as your favorite lengths aren't at extreme focal lengths, which at the long and short ends can get expensive.

You will be amazed, though at the kick to sharpness a few primes can bring you.
05-13-2014, 11:23 PM   #9
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by New 2 This Quote
I'm thinking of getting a new lens. I have 2 kit lenses, the DA 18-55, the DA 50-200 and a Sigma 70-300. I'm looking for an all around every day lens. Can I get some suggestions please. Thank you in advance for the advice. Sorry, I have a K30 and my budget is probably under $300 dollars.
You don't need any more zooms. If I were you, I would go for Sigma 50mm 2.8 macro. A swiss knife of a lens, super sharp, excellent for portraits, does 1:1 macro, and is full frame compatible.

Check here:

Amazon.com: Buying Choices: Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro Lens for Canon SLR Cameras
05-14-2014, 12:24 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well at best, we can take a scatter gun approach in terms of trying to touch on various aspects that may appeal to you. There are also several different approaches you can take.
  • With what you currently have you have coverage from 18 to 300. So what focal length do you like the best? To answer this you could run a count across all the images you have taken so far (there is software to do this) - essentially a histogram of focal lengths. This may suggest the focal length you are using the most and that may be a start where possibly getting a prime may help you for "every day" shooting. The like best is probably the most used - thus the most useful to you.
  • Every day for me is going to be different than every day for you. So, what do you do every day - and what focal length, type of aperture would fit best with your every day needs?
  • Then, there is the approach of a normal lens - in film that was a 50mm, which is the (about) a 28 to 35mm lens for a cropped sensor. This also approximates human eyesight (field of view). Its pretty small and easy to carry and have mounted all the time.
  • The approach of the 18-135 is its one lens where most of the normal shooting happens - wide angle to short telephoto, one lens on the camera and you are ready to go. The down side is that its not the smallest of lenses.
  • For me, the most used focal length is the 12-24 lens. But that is just me and where my interests lie.
  • Another approach is looking at what you can't currently do, or what frustrates you the most? Are you currently held back by not having a fast lens, etc.?
  • Then there is the style of shooting approach. Wide angle for say landscapes/citiscapes - although landscapes are usually in the 20 to 40 area due to low distortion. Say 50 to 85 for portrait work. Do you like to do macro? How about street shooting? Indoor shooting - i.e, a very fast lens ~ f1.8 or so?
  • There is also the approach that its not a lens at all, but support equipment - like a tripod. To do long exposure (night landscapes, citylights, astro, you need something to hold the camera still for a long period.
Does any of these ideas, areas, categories or approaches - jump out or appeal to you?

05-14-2014, 12:46 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bagga_Txips Quote
I like SpecialK's idea, especially if you get the Sigma 17-70 f2.8 Contemporary.

I am thinking of getting one to supplement my DA ltd's and because my wife is hogging the 18-135.
Yeah the 17-70 by Sigma is a great lens. It stayed on my camera almost full time except when I was doing macros. Good bang for your buck there.
05-14-2014, 02:00 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
my suggestion would be to get a fast lens that would work well in low light (f<2.8) since your current lenses are slow. either that being a prime or a zoom, its entirely up to you.it depends on what you will be shooting. 35mm works quite well. if you want a zoom and price can be an issue, have a look at either the tamron or sigma 17-50 f2.8 and you can get rid of your 18-55.
05-14-2014, 03:38 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Many excellent suggestions, however I don't suggest going out and randomly buying lenses until you know what it is your current camera /lens combinations are preventing you from being able to photograph on a consistent basis. My suggestion since your new learn to use what you have well then you will be able to determine what it is you are needing.