Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2014, 08:49 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
ok bit more help please,
i have downloaded and unzipped ubcd and got files , boot, pmagic,ubcd,autorun and licence.

copying them to a disc i assume can't be correct so what am i coping to the disc?
UBCD is a "boot disk", meaning you have to burn the iso image to disk, which you will use to boot your PC. You don't need to unpack/unzip the file. You burn it to a CD as shown here: UBCD for Windows

05-15-2014, 11:04 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
ok I have created my disk and can boot from it.

using the suggested seagate utility it only seems to find the three hdd fitted in the desktop and not the hdd in the usb caddy .

is it possible to find the usb hdd?

---------- Post added 05-15-2014 at 07:04 PM ----------
05-15-2014, 11:47 AM   #18

You might try enabling "Legacy USB" functions in your BIOS.
05-15-2014, 05:33 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Forgot about this yesterday, one of the best computer forums around (I know, I've been moderator since 2001)

The PC Guide Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Those guys can help you figure out almost anything.

05-18-2014, 01:51 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
thank you to all who offered help and suggestions.

in the end i copied all the images to a spare drive, reformatted the faulty ones and they instantly became visible to both the win7 pc and the xp laptop.

i received this from Microsoft which explains it somewhat.

Two computers having different operating systems may behave differently with a single device depending upon the settings of the computers.
In the present scenario all the partitions of the same hard drive was shown on Windows XP computer Explorer however does not show up in Windows 7.
This could also be true for two different user profiles on the same computer, depending upon the user profile settings.

If Windows Explorer crashed with a error message and partitions were no longer visible, Explorer probably crashed due to some system files corruptions or conflict with any third party program. However, the situation was entirely different on Windows XP computer and so the partitions were visible. Now, after you formatted the partitions, file corruptions are removed and settings are modified and probably it’s no longer facing conflict with any third party program and so the new partitions are visible on both the computers.

Hope this answers your question, please write us back if you have any other query or you face any other issue with Windows. We’ll be glad to assist you.