Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2014, 12:19 AM   #1
Veteran Member

In camera HDR with RAW

I'm not new to HDR photography. I've used several different computer programs for the job, Photomatix being my favorite. You can sit there for an hour tweaking the photo until your eyes go pixel-shaped, but if you just want a quick HDR you might just want to try out the in camera HDR, it does a pretty good job... in jpg mode or post processing in camera...

But I'm a RAW shooter and like to finalize my images on the computer. So, how does one go about using these RAW images?? Adobe Bridge tells me the huge 80+MB photo has a 14 bit depth so its hardly an HDR but the size is nearly three times that of a normal RAW photos from my K-3.

05-14-2014, 12:31 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by StarDust Quote
I'm not new to HDR photography. I've used several different computer programs for the job, Photomatix being my favorite. You can sit there for an hour tweaking the photo until your eyes go pixel-shaped, but if you just want a quick HDR you might just want to try out the in camera HDR, it does a pretty good job... in jpg mode or post processing in camera...

But I'm a RAW shooter and like to finalize my images on the computer. So, how does one go about using these RAW images?? Adobe Bridge tells me the huge 80+MB photo has a 14 bit depth so its hardly an HDR but the size is nearly three times that of a normal RAW photos from my K-3.
It doesn't look like an HDR out of camera, but you get lots more dynamic range than in a normal photo. You can develop 3 different versions then stack them, for instance.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-14-2014, 12:55 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The incamera HDR on the K3 is a bit different than with the previous capabilities the various bodies. You sort of already hit on the answer. The K3 in-camera HDR files contain 3 images that can be worked in post processing. Here is some additional information.
05-14-2014, 03:46 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Okay! Now I understand! No software recognizes the bundled photos apart from Digital Camera Utility 5. That's kind of a drag because it's a nice feature to have the photos bundled up like this for HDRs.

Where is that darned CD...