Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2014, 10:28 AM   #1

Not sure what adapter to use/buy

Hi I have a Pentax K10d and I am trying to figure out what sort of adapter I need to mount an old mirror lens to it. I bought the lens 20 years or so ago for my Konica Autoreflex film cameras. There is an adapter on the lens now with a konica bayonet mount on one side and a threaded mount on the side which attaches to the lens itself. I assume/hope there is a similar adapter I can get with the Pentax K bayonet mount that will fit my camera.

Mt question is what exactly is this adapter called. I see one type called a t-mount adapter, and another called an M43 screw mount. Can anyone help?

The mirror lens is Cambron f8 500mm made in Japan.

I like it because it is small and light, but has enough "reach" for small wildlife.

Thanks for any help you may be able to offer.

05-14-2014, 10:38 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
We'll let the more knowledgeable folks chime in, but when I Google it, everything i see says T-mount. I know the Rokinon models that they currently sell all over ebay are T-mount.
05-14-2014, 10:39 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Revised; Given further thought odds are for that camera model it would be the T2 to PK adapter that is needed.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=&_osacat=78997&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1...8997&_from=R40

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 05-14-2014 at 11:01 AM.
05-14-2014, 11:01 AM   #4

Original Poster
This is the adapter and lens

---------- Post added 05-14-14 at 02:02 PM ----------

The only writing on the adapter is "KO Japan"

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
05-14-2014, 11:23 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Do you have Vernier callipers?

Measure the mount thread outside diameter and thread pitch. If it is OD=42mm and pitch 1mm it is M42 mount.
If the pitch is different check the T mount details on Wikipedia.
05-14-2014, 11:26 AM   #6
Pentaxian

That's a T-adapter. Just get a T2 to PK mount adapter. I'd look for one made in Japan and not buy the cheapest you can find from China. I've had problems with the pitch being off with cheap adapters.

Last edited by Not a Number; 05-14-2014 at 11:47 AM.
05-14-2014, 11:28 AM   #7
Pentaxian

That's a T2 mount...
05-14-2014, 11:40 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. I will go find one on eBay- looks like they run 5-10 bucks.

05-14-2014, 11:58 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That lens looks a lot like the old Samyang-made Vivitar, 72mm filter. I used to have one and it was OK. Contrast was low, a problem for mirror lenses in general. Plan to boost that in processing. Also don't expect to shoot through a lot of atmospheric haze which will lower contrast further.

The T2 adapters have set screws on the side so once the adapter is mounted, the lens can be rotated so it's straight up on the camera. The adapter may not have any instructions for that and may come with loose screws. You're supposed to figure it out yourself.
05-14-2014, 12:33 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
That lens looks a lot like the old Samyang-made Vivitar, 72mm filter. I used to have one and it was OK. Contrast was low, a problem for mirror lenses in general. Plan to boost that in processing. Also don't expect to shoot through a lot of atmospheric haze which will lower contrast further.

The T2 adapters have set screws on the side so once the adapter is mounted, the lens can be rotated so it's straight up on the camera. The adapter may not have any instructions for that and may come with loose screws. You're supposed to figure it out yourself.
Thank you, I was wondering what the screws were for. I used that lens a lot while hiking back in the old days. It seems a nice quality piece Made in Japan with lots of metal. Its about the same size as the 55-300 zoom - great for hand held shots. I also have an old 400 mm prime lens that I think can be adapted to the Pentax. I put it away in a safe place, and I am not sure where it is now. lol getting old

The 400 lens is big and heavy, also faster, really need a tripod for that one. It is sharper than the mirror lens, but got a lot less use due to its size and weight.
05-18-2014, 05:03 PM - 1 Like   #11

Original Poster
The adapter came in the mail, and it works. Here is a sample.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
05-18-2014, 08:34 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think that's pretty representative of the lens. Processing can obviously help with contrast, but it does make focusing more difficult. Some photos work with a mirror lens, some don't, but at least you don't need a truckload of cash for it.
05-18-2014, 09:09 PM   #13

Original Poster
No cash at all in this case, because I bought it twenty years ago. Well, four dollars for the adapter. I was shooting towards the sun which you are not supposed to do. But I do like the circular reflections in the background from the mirror lens. Sometimes they add to the shot, and sometimes they ruin it. It adds a touch of randomness I like. And I love the way the extra long telephoto gives an unusual perspective that can make an ordinary fence look unusual. It's just plain fun to play with.