Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2014, 05:32 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SyncGuy Quote
Oh... I would have recommended the sigma contemporary 17-70/2.8-4 over the Pentax da18-135/3.5-5.6.

It would have served her better due to faster aperture within the most commonly used range in focal length..
And it focuses pretty closely, too.

You could ask her what she wants to shoot most, and go from there.

05-15-2014, 06:06 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I recommend the DA 18-135; it has the most useful range and DC motor is fast plus WR. I prefer (YMMV) using Pentax lens as the camera recognizes the lens characteristics and it usually can adjust automatically if there is any potential FF/BF issue.

I would not recommend super-zoom as it is too slow (I used a 28-300 once years ago) and that was the last time I use for any trip.
05-16-2014, 12:23 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

The 18-135 is silent. You have to be in a very quiet room to hear it at all. It's also a fast focusing lens. Look at my Flickr stream, all the dog park pictures are with that lens. You'll see plenty of action shots following the dogs, using back AF button focus most of the time. This is also the lens my wife prefers most of the time foe its versatility.
05-16-2014, 03:34 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I want a lens for my girlfriend.

Show me a photo. If she's hot I'll swap you an FA limited for her, if she's not, you get a Hanimex...

05-16-2014, 07:22 PM   #20

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bagga_Txips Quote
I want a lens for my girlfriend.

Show me a photo. If she's hot I'll swap you an FA limited for her, if she's not, you get a Hanimex...

any good?
05-16-2014, 08:00 PM   #21
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by leungclj Quote
Hi all,

My gird friend just ordered a K50 white x light blue version, and it will take about 3 weeks to deliver. She has no experience with DSLR before, this will be her first. She really like the K50 because it is very light. I also want to get her a good versatile lens, and the kit lens its a bit limiting...

I have given thought to the 18-135, but the reviews of its IQ aren't really that good. I even seen some sample pic from the forum, where a user was shooting a girl ruby match. The CA was VERY noticeable even for thumbnail...

I also looked at DA 17-70mm, the reviews also weren't very good neither...

I have the DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, DA-HD 35mm f2.8 macro, DA 16-45 f/4 and the DA 50-200.

My DA* lenses are too heavy for her. 16-45 only takes wide angle, and exact opposite for 50-200, and I dont want her carry 2 lenses, she wants to travel light.

Any suggestion?
I would recommend the Tamron 18-200. A good used one can be had for 150, new 199. Gets her wide to telephoto in a compact mode. If
she takes to carrying around a DSLR, you have a great lens set as her abilities increase. I travel with this lens and it has produced very good images, especially at the wide end. Much less expensive than the 18-125.
05-16-2014, 10:54 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Although no one has said it, it's surprising how light the 18-55 and 55-300 DA L (kit, non WR lenses) are. I know you mentioned you don't want 2 lenses but you also mentioned you don't want the 18-135. The advantage of the duo is, of course, reach..... 135mm leaves that on the table.

No matter what you choose she will have lot's of time to find her own niche and add........
05-18-2014, 02:39 PM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

@leungclj. Worth at least an FA31, but who's the ugly guy in the shot with her ? :-) :-)

05-18-2014, 04:00 PM   #24
Des
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
I would not recommend super-zoom as it is too slow (I used a 28-300 once years ago) and that was the last time I use for any trip.
Maybe not a fair comparison. Judging from the reviews, the 18-250 and 18-270 lenses were a big improvement on the Tamron or Sigma 28-300.

It is true that the super-zooms are about a stop slower than, say, the 55-300 at equivalent focal lengths. But with the K-50's shake reduction and good rendering even at 6400 ISO, the lens doesn't need to be fast to be usable. For this user, portability and versatility are likely to matter more than speed.
05-19-2014, 12:04 AM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Maybe not a fair comparison. Judging from the reviews, the 18-250 and 18-270 lenses were a big improvement on the Tamron or Sigma 28-300.

It is true that the super-zooms are about a stop slower than, say, the 55-300 at equivalent focal lengths. But with the K-50's shake reduction and good rendering even at 6400 ISO, the lens doesn't need to be fast to be usable. For this user, portability and versatility are likely to matter more than speed.
I totally agree with you
05-19-2014, 12:20 AM - 1 Like   #26

Original Poster
Hi all,

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have went ahead and purchased the 18-135.
I understand many other have suggested other gear such as 18-250, 18-270, 17-70 etc... No doubt they are great but after trying out the 18-135 first hand, I am sold.

First of all, sorry for not mentioning what my girl friend wants to shoot. I don't know, neither does she.
The biggest point is one lens does it all.

I understand 135mm may not be very much reach, but we are not shooting sports or wild life here, so 135 is just enough. If we really need a little more reach, i can take my 50-200mm with me. Or put the x1.4 TC on my DA* 50-135 and she will cry about how heavy it is, which she will not, since she doesn't want to change lens often.

the other reason for going for the 18-135 is the size and weight. When I gave the lens to her, she was extremely happy. If she is happy, I am happy. She really like how light it was and not impossible to carry. (unlike my gear) Not to mention she has been mentioning to go on a holiday like every week, so travel light is a must.

Another point its the DC motor, although she is not too bothered by the focusing sound, I am. When I tried the lens first hand, my god, it was quiet! AF was FAST! I wish my DA* SDM is as fast as that....

last but not least, WR. When I told her that Pentax body are WR, but not all lenses are, she laugh and said "Then why bother making the body WR if the lenses weren't?" So... WR lens is no brainer~

anyway, thanks for all your suggestions!

(damn, I want that lens too... what a great lens to travel with)

---------- Post added 05-19-14 at 03:39 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Bagga_Txips Quote
@leungclj. Worth at least an FA31, but who's the ugly guy in the shot with her ? :-) :-)
haha, that would be me! If she worth at least a FA31, what do I worth? xD
05-19-2014, 02:38 AM   #27
Des
Loyal Site Supporter

the other reason for going for the 18-135 is the size and weight. When I gave the lens to her, she was extremely happy. If she is happy, I am happy. She really like how light it was and not impossible to carry. (unlike my gear) Not to mention she has been mentioning to go on a holiday like every week, so travel light is a must.
That's great. The main thing is that she is happy with it.

Have a wonderful vacation.
05-19-2014, 10:42 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote

I know what you mean... but as a beginner, the big zoom factor ("oh, you mean you can get subject that far" syndrome) is usually the biggest draw. However, as one gets more advanced, the super zoom is no more of a deciding factor simply because there is too much compromise in the lens design (CA, slow aperture, barrel effect on the short end, not fast enough and steady enough on the long end). On the other hand, the 135mm focal length on the long end covers what is needed most of the time. I am sure if the OP cares about his GF, he would choose not to do that. Plus the DA 18-135 is WR is small enough to lug around. Anyway, not disagreeing with you but just a matter of preference (and experience as my wife would not want to have a super-zoom period, she is not even advanced user).
05-19-2014, 10:55 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter

Another point its the DC motor, although she is not too bothered by the focusing sound, I am. When I tried the lens first hand, my god, it was quiet! AF was FAST! I wish my DA* SDM is as fast as that....

last but not least, WR. When I told her that Pentax body are WR, but not all lenses are, she laugh and said "Then why bother making the body WR if the lenses weren't?" So... WR lens is no brainer~
Exactly. Now you know what the hype is about for what is, on paper, an upgraded kit lens....
05-19-2014, 11:50 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Exactly. Now you know what the hype is about for what is, on paper, an upgraded kit lens....
Agree... compare to other brands this DA 18-135 is a no-brainer and a performer for me although YMMV; DC motor is fast, silent, WR and most of all, color rendition from this lens is so nice.