Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2014, 12:53 PM   #31
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by leungclj Quote
Choosing lens for my girl friend
That'll be the one you want next then.

05-19-2014, 03:43 PM   #32
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Agree... compare to other brands this DA 18-135 is a no-brainer and a performer for me although YMMV; DC motor is fast, silent, WR and most of all, color rendition from this lens is so nice.
The infamous Photozone review of the 18-135 did a lot of damage to its reputation. No doubt Klaus got a bad copy that produced terrible corner softness (although, as Normhead has pointed out a number of times, it still produced excellent centre sharpness). Anyone can get a bad copy of a lens. The really disconcerting part was that Pentax in Hamburg told Photozone that it was "within factory specifications". Which presumably means they would not have replaced it.

Other reviews have been much more kind (see the detailed PF review). Most importantly, experienced real-world users like Normhead and the contributors here continually sing its praises and produce fine images. Everyone says the DC motor is quiet and fast. (Don't know why SDM is preferred in most other recent Pentax lenses, especially given the number of reported failures. Although that is probably a question for another thread!)
05-19-2014, 05:43 PM - 1 Like   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
The infamous Photozone review of the 18-135 did a lot of damage to its reputation. No doubt Klaus got a bad copy that produced terrible corner softness (although, as Normhead has pointed out a number of times, it still produced excellent centre sharpness). Anyone can get a bad copy of a lens. The really disconcerting part was that Pentax in Hamburg told Photozone that it was "within factory specifications". Which presumably means they would not have replaced it.

Other reviews have been much more kind (see the detailed PF review). Most importantly, experienced real-world users like Normhead and the contributors here continually sing its praises and produce fine images. Everyone says the DC motor is quiet and fast. (Don't know why SDM is preferred in most other recent Pentax lenses, especially given the number of reported failures. Although that is probably a question for another thread!)
I am not discounting Tamron, Sigma or other third party lenses, I just feel more comfortable with Pentax brand lens which can play well with the camera. If it doesn't, the whole camera/lens goes to Pentax support shop to fix or calibrate (if micro-adjustment is not enough).
05-26-2014, 10:57 PM   #34

I agree.. I'm few to all this and wanted the 18-135 wr thinking I would use it as an all purpose lense till I could affor a good 55-300wr for longer range. I did buy the tameron 28-300 and love it. I bought it because I found it used and in good shape . I still want the 55-300 wr but since I found a good tameron the lens is my all purpos lens in the mean time and I learning with it. Is she starting try used lens to save a buck and confirm what she wants and likes. Ps I also have the k50

05-27-2014, 01:05 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think Sigma and Tamron are fine lenses but I try to look for WR lenses to go with my WR body. I think the other two lens brands do offer in some WR models but I am not sure which ones do and don't have. At least with WR, I feel a lot more confident in this regard.