Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2014, 01:35 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K5 card errors

Hi anyone know how to fix cards errors in the K5 ? I've only got one card that will work with my camera, I think I may have taken the card out when it was writing. Now every other card I use comes up with an error ! I've tried a firm upgrade ..... What next????

05-15-2014, 01:41 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Format each card that isn't working and you should be golden (most cards work with the K-5). What cards are you using?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-15-2014, 01:48 PM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

To follo up Adam's comment, do format the card in-camera.
05-15-2014, 01:52 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Format won't do much. At best it will clear one block but the next one might still be bad and hit at a bad time.
Once you get it working on your desktop, the best thing you can do is try to fill the card with file (e.g. copy your system folder to the card)

If you have Linux or Mac you can use f3read (F3 by Digirati).
It is intended to determine if you bought a fraudulent card, which may only have 16GB of good data on a supposedly 32GB card, for example.

The good side is that it is capable of filling every byte on the card (very difficult to do on an SD with normal copy methods).
The side effect being that if a small number of bad blocks exist, the OS on the card *might* be able to mark them as unusable and allowing your card to be fairly reliable again.

I've had a couple of cards (from reputable brands and from good vendors) come new with bad blocks. This program fixed em up and I haven't seen an issue in over a year.
*BUT*, if your card has lots of errors, you may just want to chuck it. Not worth risking your photos to a failing SD card.

---------- Post added 05-15-14 at 04:58 PM ----------

FYI, the drive format (SD card is essentially a drive) is a *standard*. It don't matter if you format in camera or on PC.
Some cameras (not Pentax) need an extra database file created on the card. Older or dumber cameras only know how to create this during format.
That is what usually causes problems.

If formatting in camera was using a different *standard* than the PC, you'd have a whole lot of issues just trying to use it in the first place.

Last edited by amoringello; 05-15-2014 at 01:58 PM.
05-15-2014, 05:01 PM   #5
Pentaxian

It's almost as if the camera still expects to have the original card in until it finishes writing everything to it (which is probably impossible for it to complete at this point, meaning it may always be looking for that card).

In addition to the firmware upgrade/reinstall, can you also reset the camera to factory defaults? Is there any other way you can 'reset' it?

Does anyone else know if there's any harm in intentionally pulling the battery while it's turned on?
05-15-2014, 05:46 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
Does anyone else know if there's any harm in intentionally pulling the battery while it's turned on?
Worst that should happen is loss of data on the card.
I do it all the time when I accidentaly forget to power on the flash and end up having to otherwise wait for a 30 second exposure. (off/on, and start taking the next photo).
05-16-2014, 12:02 AM   #7

Original Poster
Nope camera reset tried ! I've got serveral other cameras and the cards work fine! So I'm sorta stuck with the one 8gb (eye fi) card .......
05-16-2014, 02:23 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Ah, EyeFi card? In the immortal words of Roseanne Roseannadanna; "well, that's different"...

Have you updated the firmware for the card? Every time they make changes or the camera body firmware is modified, the card's ability to work in the camera is at risk. The latest firmware should be good. It works well in all of my Pentax bodies. A few versions back had trouble.

05-16-2014, 03:32 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
Ah, EyeFi card? In the immortal words of Roseanne Roseannadanna; "well, that's different"...

Have you updated the firmware for the card? Every time they make changes or the camera body firmware is modified, the card's ability to work in the camera is at risk. The latest firmware should be good. It works well in all of my Pentax bodies. A few versions back had trouble.
Good idea, but how might this help the other cards, which are the ones the camera won't recognize?

Of course he should try it anyway. I also thought the fact that it's an EyeFi card was significant, but I couldn't figure out how that would cause this problem (or how to fix it).
05-16-2014, 04:10 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
Good idea, but how might this help the other cards, which are the ones the camera won't recognize?

Of course he should try it anyway. I also thought the fact that it's an EyeFi card was significant, but I couldn't figure out how that would cause this problem (or how to fix it).

Derp! yeah, sorry. Mis-read what he wrote.

If you have one card that works, it definitely sounds like a card issue and not a camera issue.
Are the other ones also EyeFi?
I could see EyeFi cards being more problematic... but I'd be hard pressed to see why they work *better* than any other cards.

If formatting those cards and checking for errors (if possible) does not help, I would say buy or borrow another new card and see if the works. If it does,I would lean towards tossing the others.
05-16-2014, 04:53 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Each card type uses a different OS format from Fat16 to Exfat so If you want to see if your cards are repairable then download this software which is designed specifically to safely format SD cards.. After downloading Use the "Full format" function which is a low level format function. That will correctly clear any and all information in the sectors on your card, reformat it with the correct OS file format and map any bad sectors on the card it finds. If they do not work after doing the full format then chuck them.

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

Read the infomation contained within the site I think you will find it useful and have a better understanding of SD cards.
05-16-2014, 05:18 AM   #12

Original Poster
I will try the eyefi update next! Seems weird though, I have the same hunch that the camera is still wanting to write to the same card ( eyefi ) and for some reason won't accept anything but that card.
Thanks for all your input ! I'll let you know how the eyefi update turns out
05-16-2014, 05:31 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
Each card type uses a different OS format from Fat16 to Exfat so If you want to see if your cards are repairable then download this software which is designed specifically to safely format SD cards.. After downloading Use the "Full format" function which is a low level format function. That will correctly clear any and all information in the sectors on your card, reformat it with the correct OS file format and map any bad sectors on the card it finds. If they do not work after doing the full format then chuck them.

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

Read the infomation contained within the site I think you will find it useful and have a better understanding of SD cards.
Good point on the OS formats... but FAT16 is FAT16 regardless of in-camera or desktop formatting. FAT32 is FAT32 regardless of in-camera v.s. desktop formatting, etc... just don't screw them up as you can turn your 32GB card into a 2GB card if you format using FAT16 by mistake.

Be ware though because SD handles the concept of tracks and sectors differently.
Simple formatting tools that write sectors 1...N may not do what you expect on an SD. (i.e. it may simply write to a small subset of blocks). Thus the reason you generally need to actually lock the sectors as used, by writing to every byte

Does Formatter4 handle that? It is difficult to determine if they do (I could not find where it is specifically stated).
I would certainly hope and assume being from the SD Association that they do -- but I have seen other programs stating they are written to handle the oddities of SD media but they fail in real life.

This might be a great option as opposed to, or in conjunction with, f3read. Especially since it works both on Windows and Mac. I will be giving it a try.

Thanks for the link!