Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2014, 12:11 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for all the info everyone. Too bad the fx button cannot be programmed to enable or disable SR.... that would have been great.

With my K10, all it took was the flip of a switch.

With birds..... we do not have much time to take a picture and if the tripod is necessary, by the time I turn off the SR, the bird is GONE ! ! !.

I have a nice collection of pictures of branches where "the bird was" ! ! !

06-19-2014, 07:40 PM   #17

Interesting and helpful thread

Thanks, all. I recently took a vacation trip and did a lot of birding, taking along my K-5, Sigma APO EX DG 100-300mm f/4 with 1.4x Sigma EX teleconverter, and my beautiful 45-year-old Tiltall tripod, hand-machined by C. M. Marchioni in Rutherford, NJ before Leitz bought the design and the name from him. I didn't have a remote release, and was pressing the shutter release manually, with shake reduction turned on. After a whole lot of blurry pictures, I reluctantly and skeptically concluded that the Tiltall, which I bought in college when I started using a 4x5 field camera, just wasn't enough tripod to hold my rig steady when using the 35mm equivalent of a 620mm lens. So I upgraded to an Induro CT314 carbon-fiber tripod and Acratech GP ballhead and started doing test shots. I also ordered a remote release, and discovered after it arrived that shake reduction is automatically turned off when remote triggering is selected. Lo and behold, I was suddenly able to read lettering a foot high quite easily at a distance of 2.6 miles in my test shots. Now I understand why. And though I'm still sentimentally attached to the Tiltall and have exonerated it from blame for those blurry shots, the new tripod and head are unbelievably sweet to use with the long lens, particularly in the head's gimbal mode.

I did get some nice bird shots from a boat during our trip, handholding the same lens and TC. SR was turned on, of course, but I was also shooting at 1/3200, 1/4000 and 1/5000, so SR may have been doing very little to improve IQ in those shots.

Thanks again to all for the discussion and explanations.