Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2014, 01:29 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Shake reduction or not with tripod ! ! !

Hi Everyone....

Quick question about shake reduction on K5iis when using a tripod

I often take bird pictures and those little critters do not cooperate very much. I usually shoot handhel with shake reduction ON and easily turned it OFF when I was using a trippod AND my old faithfukl K10D.

Now, I have a K5iiS but if I wanna use a tripod, by the time I go through the menus to remove SR, the damn bird is gone ! ! ! !..... it was a simple switch with the K10D ! ! ! !

At what moment does the SR being turned ON affects pics taken with a tripod ????? Is it only in low-light situations ? Low-speed ?????

Manual says we should turn it OFF, BUT it is not alway possible....... is it REALLY worthwhile....... I do not think so...... but then..... your comments will be appreciated..............

Thanks

05-16-2014, 01:46 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Just leave it off- since the tripod stabilizes your camera (and you're probably shooting at high speed anyway), SR can backfire.

If you want an easy way to disable it, use the USER mode

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-16-2014, 01:53 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I almost always leave SR on, and usually have no problem.
In fact, only once I have seen an instance where blur was almost certainly induced by SR being on while on stable tripod and ground using remote release.
Since then, I have not been able to reproduce the issue.

So when I think about it, I will turn it off rather than risk the issue showing its ugly head by surprise.
But I don't really worry much about it.
05-16-2014, 02:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Hi devouges,

Two suggestions to try:

First test whether SR on or off actually makes enough of a difference in your results either with or without a tripod. Differences in personal technique and the support gear itself suggest that there really isn't a clear rule that can apply to everyone. What works for me my not be acceptable for you.

Second, there is a quick and easy way to switch between SR on and off. Use the Info Screen, and select SR. It will remain selected even after the Info Screen is turned off, so all you need to do to toggle between on and off is press the Info button, then rotate the rear E dial one click. This can be done easily enough without taking your eye from the VF if you practice a little, and it's almost as quick as the SR switch on earlier models.

Scott

05-16-2014, 02:15 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well..... so far..... I like the user mode idea..... .

Thanks
05-16-2014, 02:34 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If still shots (like landscapes) I use the three second timer. It will automatically turn off SR, raise the mirror up and take the shot. Just remember to reset it afterward.
05-16-2014, 02:44 PM   #7
Veteran Member

IMHO SR should remain 'Off' until you need it.
And yes, it's easily accessible via the info menu

05-16-2014, 03:02 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Use a cheap tripod, one that is all wiggly. This will give the SR something to counteract.

Just kidding!
05-16-2014, 03:34 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I always leave SR on. When working on a tripod I either use 2 second self timer or remote - both of which turn off SR anyway.
05-16-2014, 05:28 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

My photos always turn out sharper with SR off because I don't rely on SR to compensate but rather rely on better camera settings for the shot I'm after.
Yes there's a time where SR is handy, but with practice and skill [and fast lenses] you just don't need it 99% of the time.
SR is really only for use with still [static] subjects where lighting isn't allowing you to set the shutter speed at least equiv' to the focal length, it's never going to help when trying to capture moving objects, you're only going to freeze moving objects using the right combination of shutter speed, Aperture and ISO, not with SR - SR can make blurring much worse in this scenario.
Tripod mounted cameras can suffer from a feedback loop if SR is left on. This almost guarantees softer blurry images.
Thing is, SR is only a 'reduction' system, not a cancelling system and the way it does that is to move (jiggle) the mechanism around inside the camera - iow: There's still movement because the SR system moving.
That's my thoughts on SR in any case
05-18-2014, 07:06 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Your birding, birding almost demands fast shutter speeds. fast shutter speeds mean SR is unnecessary.

A fast moving bird will demand a shutter speed of faster than 1/500th

The kind of general settings I would be considering for birding are is f5.6 to f8 and 1/1000 or faster, then up the ISO to guarantee those settings.

If the sensor isn't up to it and generates too much noise I would say I have the wrong camera for birding.

With a shutter speed of 1/1000 or better, almost any long lens will be fine without SR enabled handheld or on a tripod.

If your using a 400 plus 2x tele, your focal length is 800, and that means 1280 mm if the crop factor is 1.6 so you use 1/1500 or thereabouts shutter speed, and up the ISO

Im not a birder but these settings seem sensible.

Don't forget that noise can be reduced in post processing and there are noise reducing utilities that can be used. Don't be scared of a little noise.
05-18-2014, 07:14 PM   #12
rfg

QuoteOriginally posted by devouges Quote
Well..... so far..... I like the user mode idea..... .

Thanks
You can also customise the Raw/Fx button to turn SR on and off - that way you can control SR in any mode.

Edit:- that works with my K-3, not sure about your K-5II sorry...
05-19-2014, 03:21 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Hi,
on the K5, it is not an option.......
05-19-2014, 09:58 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

FAST SHOT user mode - turn off SR, correction features, set to TAv mode, continuous HI shooting (or if you're RAW only you're not doing a lot of that now).
Works great.
05-21-2014, 11:30 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
My photos always turn out sharper with SR off because I don't rely on SR to compensate but rather rely on better camera settings for the shot I'm after.
Yes there's a time where SR is handy, but with practice and skill [and fast lenses] you just don't need it 99% of the time.
SR is really only for use with still [static] subjects where lighting isn't allowing you to set the shutter speed at least equiv' to the focal length, it's never going to help when trying to capture moving objects, you're only going to freeze moving objects using the right combination of shutter speed, Aperture and ISO, not with SR - SR can make blurring much worse in this scenario.
Tripod mounted cameras can suffer from a feedback loop if SR is left on. This almost guarantees softer blurry images.
Thing is, SR is only a 'reduction' system, not a cancelling system and the way it does that is to move (jiggle) the mechanism around inside the camera - iow: There's still movement because the SR system moving.
That's my thoughts on SR in any case
Thanks! I found this very useful. I'm a DSLR novice and I've been leaving SR on figuring that even if it didn't help, it wouldn't hurt, but my action shots haven't come out as sharp as I hoped, even using a very fast shutter speed and (apparently) having good focus.