Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2014, 07:43 PM   #1

Filter Questions

1. What filters do I need for B&W and color film landscape photography?
2. Screw ins or a Cokin adaptor type system?

Thanks,
Alan

---------- Post added 05-18-14 at 09:44 PM ----------

Clarification: General B&W photography: People places and things
My landscapes will be all color.
Alan

05-18-2014, 08:01 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Probably polarizing and neutral density filters - I picked screw-ins just because they're less bulky to carry, but if you're planning on being set up on a tripod and want multiple effects without moving the camera at all, cokin might be easier in that respect (and cheaper than screw-in depending on how many different filter sizes your lenses have).
05-18-2014, 08:35 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'll just add here that for landscapes, polarizes do not do well on wide angle lenses in general (it depends on the look that you are going after). Lenses wider than about 28mm are too wide and do not allow the polarizers to uniformly distribute the effect across the face of the lens. This is mainly noticeable in the sky - where the blue color becomes very concentrated in one area.Another downside is trying to stitch with polarizers. Again, its going to be difficult to get a uniform effect across the panorama.

05-18-2014, 09:06 PM   #4

Original Poster
I won't be going wider than 28mm with my ME Super or 45mm with my Pentax 645.

05-18-2014, 10:17 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bustedup Quote
1. What filters do I need for B&W and color film landscape photography?
2. Screw ins or a Cokin adaptor type system?

Thanks,
Alan

---------- Post added 05-18-14 at 09:44 PM ----------

Clarification: General B&W photography: People places and things
My landscapes will be all color.
Alan
1) For b&w film I would get a yellow, orange and red filter to start with. For colour film I would get a skylight and cloudy (81A) filter. You can use a polarizer for both b&w and colour film.

2) I would go with screw in filters.

Phil.
05-18-2014, 11:08 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
1) For b&w film I would get a yellow, orange and red filter to start with. For colour film I would get a skylight and cloudy (81A) filter. You can use a polarizer for both b&w and colour film.

2) I would go with screw in filters.

Phil.
+1. A red filter can dramatically darken skies, yellow will enhance foliage. Orange will do both (to a lesser extent).
05-19-2014, 12:23 AM   #7
Veteran Member

If it's cheap, I'd also throw in a Blue and a green filter.

I've seen sets on ebay for relatively low cost, they probably aren't as optically good as a decent Hoya filter (or whoever makes filters these days) but it's a great way to experiment and learn.

Landscapes, I tend to just stick with a UV filter. A polariser is a good idea though to reduce any reflections, and help cut down on haze (unless part of the effect you want is the haze)

I generally prefer screw in filters because they are less bulky than the Cokin, and easier to leave on the camera while walking around.

BUT, if cost is an issue, the Cokin likely is better value for money since I imagine with a few step down rings it could be used on both the 645 and the ME
05-20-2014, 06:42 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
1) For colour film I would get a skylight and cloudy (81A) filter.

Phil.
Is skylight the same as UV?