Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2014, 09:45 AM   #1

Selecting focus point - Nikon or newer Pentax body?

Hi. I've had my Pentax K-x for a year now and I am getting fairly good shots a lot of the time. The one thing I really like the looks of is the Nikon user's I know have the ability to move their focus point to where you want it instead of where the Pentax guesses at. (I use the center point focus and generally have good results now but....) I know the Nikon's have the movable focus point and movable metering with the focus point. I can see where this is really a good feature as sometimes even using center focus, my point of focus can be off a little bit. I'm considering a D3200 but then I would have to start my lens collection all over again. Do any of the newer Pentax's have these features? Maybe I should just buy a new Pentax body instead of jumping to Nikon. If the newer pentax body's have this feature, which ones are they? There are so many! LOL And do all the newer bodies use the K-mount lenses so that I can continue to use the lenses I have? Anyone use both Nikon and Pentax and venture an opinion on which they like better and why or the pros and cons of both? I like that Pentax has the vibration reduction actually built into the body instead of the lens...that's a really nice feature plus the catch in focus for older lenses is nice too...(not sure if Nikon has anything like that....) Anyway, just looking for experienced user input as I am still really new and have lots to learn. Thanks!

05-19-2014, 09:52 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All current mid and upper tier Pentax bodies can do focus point select.
K-x and K500 do not have that feature as they do not show the selected focus spot in the display.
K-30 and K-50 have less focus points than K-3 and K-5.
05-19-2014, 10:21 AM   #3
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Hope9811 Quote
do all the newer bodies use the K-mount lenses
Well, out of all the Pentax interchangeable lens cameras, the Q-series requires an adapter to use K-mount lenses and the medium format 645 series can't use K-mount lens (because the K-mount lenses can't cover the MF sensor/focal plane). The mirrorless K-01 and all Pentax APS-C and 135 format SLR's can use K-mount lenses.

I can't speak to Nikon cameras, and auto-focus performance depends on the camera body and specific lenses as a system, but my limited experience with modern Canon bodies suggests that they are better at phase-detection autofocus than Pentax bodies, even when the Canon body has fewer focus points. Maybe I should expand auto-focus performance to include the ergonomics of the camera and how easily the photographer can change the composition of a shot when perspective changes or the subject moves, because to me Pentax cameras are class-leading in the handling department. The K-3 is by all reports better than the K-30/50 in terms of AF speed, and other than sports with quick changes of direction at short distances, like basketball, I haven't found the K-30's AF performance to be a limiting factor.

Last edited by RGlasel; 05-20-2014 at 12:13 PM.
05-19-2014, 10:25 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Hi. ....The one thing I really like the looks of is the Nikon user's I know have the ability to move their focus point to where you want it instead of where the Pentax guesses at. (I use the center point focus and generally have good results now but....) I know the Nikon's have the movable focus point and movable metering with the focus point. I can see where this is really a good feature as sometimes even using center focus, my point of focus can be off a little bit. I'm considering a D3200 but then I would have to start my lens collection all over again. Do any of the newer Pentax's have these features? ....
The only Pentax model that does not have focus point selection is the k-x (may be the k-500 too) which is what you have. All other Pentax DSLR models have that feature. An upgrade to k-5IIs would be a big leap in your case probably much better than switching over to D3200 without breaking the bank.

05-19-2014, 10:48 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Just use a Pentax LX and focus on what you want!
05-19-2014, 12:04 PM   #6

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
All current mid and upper tier Pentax bodies can do focus point select.
K-x and K500 do not have that feature as they do not show the selected focus spot in the display.
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
The only Pentax model that does not have focus point selection is the k-x (may be the k-500 too) ...

Page 104 of the K-500 manual, Selecting the Focus Point (AF Point), shows "Select" as one of the options, along with Auto 5, Auto 11, and Spot, the same modes as the K-50. It just won't show the selected focus point in the viewfinder, but it'll show in the LCD.
05-19-2014, 12:15 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Hi. I've had my Pentax K-x for a year now and I am getting fairly good shots a lot of the time. The one thing I really like the looks of is the Nikon user's I know have the ability to move their focus point to where you want it instead of where the Pentax guesses at. (I use the center point focus and generally have good results now but....) I know the Nikon's have the movable focus point and movable metering with the focus point. I can see where this is really a good feature as sometimes even using center focus, my point of focus can be off a little bit. I'm considering a D3200 but then I would have to start my lens collection all over again. Do any of the newer Pentax's have these features? Maybe I should just buy a new Pentax body instead of jumping to Nikon. If the newer pentax body's have this feature, which ones are they? There are so many! LOL And do all the newer bodies use the K-mount lenses so that I can continue to use the lenses I have? Anyone use both Nikon and Pentax and venture an opinion on which they like better and why or the pros and cons of both? I like that Pentax has the vibration reduction actually built into the body instead of the lens...that's a really nice feature plus the catch in focus for older lenses is nice too...(not sure if Nikon has anything like that....) Anyway, just looking for experienced user input as I am still really new and have lots to learn. Thanks!
I'd recommend upgrading to the K-50, which lets you select focus points and shows them in the viewfinder. There's currently a great deal on it where you get a free flash:
Pentax K-50 Digial SLR Camera Body - Black 10883

The Nikon D5300 (which corresponds to the K-50) has more AF points (39 vs the Pentax's 11), and arguably a clearer viewfinder display, but I wouldn't recommend switching brands if you've already invested in Pentax lenses.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-19-2014, 10:34 PM   #8

Original Poster
so what is everyone's opinion on the K-5 II body? What is the difference between the K-5 and the K-5 II? Also someone mentioned a K-50? Is that the same thing? I found a K-5 II for $400. Is that reasonable? Not sure what it was new? it is a used body with 10,000 shutter count.