Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2014, 09:51 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

trying to remove inner barrel Tamron 2x

So I picked up a Tamron 2x teleconverter on eBay for a good price and I intend to use it as an "extender" for closeup photography. Which means of course I need to remove the optics. So I got it mostly unassembled but the inner barrel (the one holding all the glass) appears to be glued into the outer flange which holds the bayonet and electronics. I've tried turning this puppy by hand but no use -- it won't budge. So can I "soften" the glue with either alcohol or acetone? And how do I best get a good grip on this tiny (approx 1") barrel?

Any ideas appreciated (short of taking a hammer to the glass -- that's not me!)

Michael

05-19-2014, 10:25 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes just loosen the thread locker with a few drops of acetone. Leave to soak in a while. then try unscrewing, or try loosening the locking ring (lens spanner handy)

see my review of 01F
05-19-2014, 10:47 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
here's a photo of my current progress (note how the glass on the INSIDE comes out, but I'm hoping to remove the entire barrel.

M

---------- Post added 05-19-14 at 01:59 PM ----------

FYI, the outer barrel has no slots or keys for a spanner wrench (only the inner rings do as can be seen in the photo)

M
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
05-19-2014, 11:50 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OK so thats not an adaptall one its the fixed mount one that wasn't clear. I'm not sure you need to disassemble so much - test and see if you get vignetting. The 01f doesn't vignette with the optical assembly removed.

Beyond that can't help you! Al these tc's are different.

05-19-2014, 03:01 PM   #5

If everything is metal you could try softening it with a heat gun. There is probably too much area to use a soldering iron to heat it. Just be careful not to burn yourself on hot metal.
05-19-2014, 03:29 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
might need the hammer after all... grrr..

m
05-19-2014, 11:54 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi

I am not so sure it is glued in. Look at it this way, if you want to glue or cement two parts together with very small tolerances like sliding a sleeve into another one you will get glue or cement squeezing out somewhere. You cant do it cleanly. In your case you would see some evidence of glue somewhere. In the absence of this I still think it might be locked in some other way or maybe it is just a unit turned in one part.

Why don't you file two opposing notches, each about 5mm width, into the edge of the sleeve and then put a metal bar across it and try some brute force. Worth a try. And if it was glued in with just a very tiny amount of glue fine tolerances would allow somewhere perhaps the size of a shirt button, then brute force may actually do it.

Greetings

05-20-2014, 05:16 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
the acetone indeed loosened the glue/loctite, but the result was that the ENTIRE barrel came out -- not what I wanted since the aperture mechanism is tightly coupled to the barrel itself. Given that I don't own the precision spanner wrenches to extract the remaining optics nestled inside, I may indeed have to resort to breaking the remaining glass. Saddens me greatly. Sigh.

Michael
05-20-2014, 07:13 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The tamron F series are quite good tc's, 6 elements like the 01F's, though if that's yours I've not seen a PKA one before.
There are plenty of cheap old PKA tc's around to cannibalise into an extension tube - vivitars and other third party brands. Hey I'll sell you an as new jessup one for a tenner!
05-20-2014, 12:25 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
The tamron F series are quite good tc's, 6 elements like the 01F's, though if that's yours I've not seen a PKA one before.
There are plenty of cheap old PKA tc's around to cannibalise into an extension tube - vivitars and other third party brands. Hey I'll sell you an as new jessup one for a tenner!
Yes it does appear to be a quality optic -- I didn't bother doing any valid image tests with it other that to see if it would AF with my lenses (it did as long as they were f/2.8).
I'm a little lost as to what you mean by a "tenner"???

Michael
05-20-2014, 12:33 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
I'm a little lost as to what you mean by a "tenner"???
perhaps that should be a banjo??
05-20-2014, 12:55 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
perhaps that should be a banjo??
what's a ten pound note got to do with a banjo?
Is this a Welsh thing perhaps?

M
05-20-2014, 01:03 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"A Ten Dollar note is known as a Blue Swimmer, Blue Tongue, Blue Heeler (name of a cattle dog), Tenner, Pav (this derived from Pavarotti from the Three Tenors- hint: tenners), a Banjo (from the picture of A.B. “Banjo” Paterson thereon)......." wikipedia