Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2014, 07:11 PM   #1

where to go from here

hey, figured this would be the right forum to ask this question. I've been shooting with my moms' old K1000 for a little bit now and i just got back from my trip to Seattle. I shot all the pictures with the kit lens, 1.8/55. I was wondering if you guys, based on my pictures, had an recs for lens? If you could check the flickr out and lemme know it would be much appreciated.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/123996951@N06/

05-22-2014, 07:35 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ehriking Quote
hey, figured this would be the right forum to ask this question. I've been shooting with my moms' old K1000 for a little bit now and i just got back from my trip to Seattle. I shot all the pictures with the kit lens, 1.8/55. I was wondering if you guys, based on my pictures, had an recs for lens? If you could check the flickr out and lemme know it would be much appreciated.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/123996951@N06/
Which film did you use?
The pictures have a special quality and that lens is quite nice. I personally like your pictures better than usual digital snaps.
05-22-2014, 07:41 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Which film did you use?
The pictures have a special quality and that lens is quite nice. I personally like your pictures better than usual digital snaps.
hey thanks man, i just used Fujifilm superia x-tra 200-400 speed.
05-22-2014, 07:46 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ehriking Quote
I was wondering if you guys, based on my pictures, had an recs for lens?
Nice photos.

A wide angle lens, like the M 28/2.8,
would help you bring more people into the group,
or put you closer in to your subject.

KEH typically has these lenses for under $100.
Pentax Manual Focus Fixed Focal Length Lenses - KEH.com

05-23-2014, 07:42 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A lens recommendation for the type of photos that you have in Flickr link could be a wide angle zoom or wide angle prime. Depending on various factors such as your shooting style, vision, preferences, and of course, your budget. Personally, if I was to get back into 35mm (film or digital) I'd get three lenses: An ultra-wide zoom like a 16-35; a standard 28-80 or 24-105, and a tele zoom like a 70-200 or 100-300. Having a 50mm or 35mm prime for those low-light situations would be very handy as well.
For the type of shots that you shown on your Flickr page, you could easily find situations that would be best shot with any of the three zooms that I had mentioned. So in a perfect world I'd have all three in my bag, but from experience I think that I'd mostly use an ultra-wide and tele zoom lens and never feel that I've missed a shot because I didn't have the right lens with me.
You did very well with just one lens. The downside to doing it with just one lens is that after a while all the photos seem to be very similar to each other. You don't have the variety with one lens that you'd get with a zoom or a few additional primes.