Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2014, 04:42 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Diagnosing K-5 exposure problem

My K-5 has been acting strange lately, exposure is erratic - grossly over exposed.

Perhaps it is something I set.

Does anyone have a method to determine what may be set wrong, something I did, or a process that would verify faulty operation?

I did activate the RESET command - still acting funky.

I just want to make sure I do all I can to diagnose the problem, especially if it is something I set, before sending it to Pentax Repair.

Thanks

05-24-2014, 05:15 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So is this in all modes - including green mode?
Double check exposure compensation is zeroed (which you probably have already done a million times).

Also how good it the exposure if photo is taken in Live View (this is using the sensor for exposure rather than metering sensor). If good then likely to be a metering

Another check is if you can get consistent exposure if you work in manual mode (trial and error and ignore the meter). If not consistent then indicates something wrong with aperture or shutter control.

Jonathan
05-24-2014, 05:44 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
With multiple lenses? Only with lenses stopped down or also at the biggest aperture? Check the aperture blades if they are snappy.
05-25-2014, 05:31 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
Double check exposure compensation is zeroed (which you probably have already done a million times).

Also how good it the exposure if photo is taken in Live View (this is using the sensor for exposure rather than metering sensor). If good then likely to be a metering

Another check is if you can get consistent exposure if you work in manual mode (trial and error and ignore the meter). If not consistent then indicates something wrong with aperture or shutter control.

Jonathan
Thank you Jonathan

Live View is perfect. So it appears to be something with the metering sensor. Now I need to see what replacement costs versus the need for a second camera - I have a K-3. I have enjoyed taking two bodies although the change in AF button between the K-3 and the K-5 drives me nuts. I'll have to call Pentax to find out the cost.

---------- Post added 05-25-14 at 08:57 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote

Jonathan
Hi Jonathan

Did a further test of VF (Viewfinder) vs LV (Live View) for all modes

Green Mode - both VF and LV worked fine
P - VF grossly over exposed; LV fine
SV - VF grossly over exposed; LV fine
Tv - VF slightly over exposed, LV fine
Av - VF grossly over exposed; LV fine
TAV - my most used setting for wildlife - VF grossly over exposed; LV fine
M - The meter needed to read - minus 3EV for a good shot, LV fine at zero setting

It appears there is something not working right with the metering sensor in combination to making an aperture adjustment - is that a correct assessment?

I will contact Pentax repairs - to see what their repair cost policy is -

This is the first camera I have had to get repaired in many years going back to several Olympus OM film cameras from the 70's, a Sony 100, and now two Pentax cameras.

Last edited by RockvilleBob; 05-25-2014 at 06:33 AM.
05-25-2014, 06:14 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Never heard of that exact problem before but it sounds bad. Maybe a bad joint in the electronics somewhere that messes with the voltage?
05-25-2014, 06:32 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Looking at the price of repair estimate from CRIS camera of $211 - about half the cost of a used K-5
While I really like having a second body the difference in operation between the K-3 and the K-5 is irritating, especially the AF button placement change.
I may just go with one body and see how the used market develops for the K-3 over the next year. When Pentax comes out with an enhanced K-3 or a new model, the price of used K-3 will plummet if I still want one.

---------- Post added 05-25-14 at 09:59 AM ----------

I really feel stupid. I found the problem - the most obvious one - ME
My fat thumb must have switched the K-5 metering to spot metering which I rarely/never use. Switching back to center weighted fixed the problem. Do LV and VF metering used different methods- is spot metering only applied with VF metering?
Again - I really appreciate the suggestions, I learned a lot but just needed a mirror to pinpoint the problem.
05-25-2014, 07:23 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Haha, been there, done that!