Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2014, 10:48 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Help with photo post mortem

Our grandson's high school graduation was held in a large arena. That's all I knew ahead of time and chose to take the K-50 with a Sigma 17-50 / 2.8. I did take a number of test shots beforehand to determine the best settings and the outfit performed wonderfully. I decided to take periodic snaps as he approached the podium, but unfortunately, at diploma time he was to cross the stage with his back to us. Not thinking clearly, I decided to simply photograph the huge jumbo-tron to get that full, action shot as the diploma was handed over.

Of course all the jumbo-tron snaps are blown out.

I know how to set manually for the full moon and could have done that, had I been thinking. Is there any other technique I could have used?

Am I correct in assuming the snaps (all jpegs) are beyond post processing assistance? Would there be more options had I used RAW?

Thanks in advance

(Next graduation - - - seven years)

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
05-25-2014, 11:04 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Banskojoe Quote
Am I correct in assuming the snaps (all jpegs) are beyond post processing assistance?
If you are referring to the TV screen then yes.
05-25-2014, 11:55 AM   #3
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You could have either deliberately underexposed or bracketed based on guesswork or used spot metering on the screen. But it is a difficult situation, you only have a few seconds to decide and adjust your settings before the moment is gone.
05-25-2014, 01:01 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Banskojoe Quote
Would there be more options had I used RAW?
Definitely. The compression applied to JPEG files takes neighboring pixels with similar values and averages them. Once the mathematics behind the compression have been applied, you can't undo the adjustment. In the shot of the monitor you will lose all of the small differences in intensity that the camera recorded, and if you adjust exposure of the JPEG file, you will be adjusting the average value. I'm impressed you had the forethought to shoot the monitor once you realized you didn't have a direct view of your grandson's face, and if you had saved the picture as RAW or RAW+, you would be amazed how much you could have salvaged. In the attached photos below I had forgotten to reset my exposure compensation. The hazy sky is a permanent feature of summer in Vancouver, but at least you don't need to wear sunglasses to look at the second photo.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 

Last edited by RGlasel; 05-25-2014 at 01:03 PM. Reason: grammar
05-25-2014, 10:24 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Not to turn this into a JPEG vs RAW thread, while RAW can help in some situations, images blown out to white are lost regardless of file format. There is only so much you can recover and once burned out it is gone.

Shooting using spot metering is the only way to manage this situation as it would meter from the jumbotron