Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2014, 08:17 AM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ripper2860 Quote
As for AF button -- why yes I do have an AF/AE-L button and right now it locks exposure. I'm sure I can re-program that button, but the solution of switching to MF mode via the focus mode selector switch is the no-brainer for me. Plus I don't want to lose AE lock.

Thanks!!
Fortunately the K10D has separate buttons for AF and AE-L and sometimes my left hand is holding either the object being photographed or something out of the way (macro work). I always found the default AF button setting next to useless since the half-press on the shutter button activates AF (default).

That's the wonderful thing about being able to customize many of the button functions to suit your personal likes.

Now my next tip is that you slap the lens on your camera body and go out and take photos

05-29-2014, 10:43 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I use my AF button all the time now as I turned off the half press AF. I shoot mostly all in M mode and will check the lighting of a scene with the camera set to spot meter using the half press and I like to be able to independently pick a focus point with the center focus point and the AF button and have it stay there until I change it. It really overrides a lot of the in camera stupidity. I also use the power button extra function (the spring loaded position past ON, whatever ridiculous name they gave it) to stop the lens down for every shot and review depth of field. I have also found that when stopped down the lenses give a more accurate representation of contrast in the viewfinder so you can more easily see if some highlights and shadows are just outright incompatible with each other in a single exposure.

But I almost comically digress.

When I use my A lenses on my DSLR's I set the focal length at startup so shake reduction works correctly (its not just for the exif data) and then just meter normally and adjust exposure with the front and rear dials.
On my K5 with the stock screen I use the green light thingy to confirm focus as I found the fancy focus screen I got for my K20D to be a waste of time and money, the view finder just isn't on par with the big bright bay windows on my film cameras even with a new screen.
One thing to note, with manual zoom lenses shake reduction works as a compromise at best because you set the focal length when you turn the camera on, and then immediately change it the first time you zoom. There is some debate on what the best method around this is (such as a compromise middle number), but I just solved it by buying more AF lenses and moving all my lovely manual zooms to the film camera corral. The owners manual actually says to set it to the focal length you will be using which obviously wouldn't work. I would love if someday someone would do extensive testing on a wider range zoom like the A35-105 F3.5 and compare what happens with the SR focal length set to 35 or 105 with the zoom set to the opposite or with it set to a middle number.

That's my 2 cents worth of rambling.