Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
05-25-2014, 07:07 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Tips for using an "A" lens on my K500

Hello,

Picked up a mint Pentax-A 50mm / 1.4 this weekend and it is my first Pentax-A lens. I'm reaching out to you fine folks for some sage advice on how to use an A lens with my DSLR. I've used M lenses previously but never an A lens, so I am unsure as to what auto exposure modes I can use given the A setting and any other tips/tricks to help me get the most out of A lenses in general. I also have a Tokina 28mm / 2.8 A lens on the way, so I'm really looking forward to fully exploiting what an A can do.

Thanks!!!

Last edited by ripper2860; 05-25-2014 at 10:50 PM.
05-25-2014, 07:23 PM - 1 Like   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Quick and dirty: use it like any modern lens, just your hand is the focus motor.

being an A lens, it has auto aperture (as you know). This means it can take full advantage of all modes on your camera. The only difference between that and say the F or FA or DA 50 is that it's manual focus and they're auto focus.
05-25-2014, 07:36 PM - 1 Like   #3

Yep. Just set it to "A" and you can use all the auto exposure modes. You even get matrix metering. In manual mode you set the aperture with the eDial. If you take the lens off the "A" setting you would set exposure as you do with your "M" lens.
05-25-2014, 07:42 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That's it!? Treat it like a DA Lens in manual focus mode? Well, I guess that is why there are no guides on using an A lens on a DSLR!!

Thanks!!

05-25-2014, 08:29 PM - 1 Like   #5

You'll get a beep when something comes into focus too. AFAIK.
05-25-2014, 08:39 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think there's one limitation. The only focus point that's active is the center one. It makes sense and isn't really noticeable on the K500.

I use mine with a hood as much as possible. The screw in ones with as 49mm thread fit with the least trouble. It can be as deep as 2 inches. Mine is metal.

The narrow depth of field at f1.4 means you'll notice focus errors and they can be from multiple sources. You probably want to practice and see how well it works, especially at close distances.

I have one version of a Tokina 28mm f2.8 and it is surprisingly good. Its only problem is average flare resistance. A hood helps that too. It is very close to matching my sharpest 28mm lenses.
05-25-2014, 10:47 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the tips. As it happens, I have my K500 set to center focus point by default, for the very reason that I cannot tell which point is actively being used via the VF. I know I can via Live View, but I just don't like to use Live View unless I'm using a tripod. Using Live View with focus peaking on Macro shots with very narrow DOF is a definite plus; however when shooting hand-held, looking at a screen in order to compose, focus and shoot, just seems "un-natural".

I have already ordered a 49mm screw-on metal hood (for wide-angle lenses) for use with the Tokina 28, but I will make sure to put it to use on the Pentax 50, as well.

Note: If I had done more thorough research and had discovered the K500 didn't display focus points in the view finder, I would have waited and picked up the K50. It never crossed my mind that it would not since my older entry-level K110D did display focus points via VF. Other than this perplexing omission by Pentax, the K500 is really an awesome camera and superior to competitors in its class.

Thanks everyone and keep the tips coming. (I love this forum!! You folks are awesome!!)

Last edited by ripper2860; 05-25-2014 at 11:02 PM.
05-26-2014, 12:16 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ripper2860 Quote
Note: If I had done more thorough research and had discovered the K500 didn't display focus points in the view finder, I would have waited and picked up the K50. It never crossed my mind that it would not since my older entry-level K110D did display focus points via VF. Other than this perplexing omission by Pentax, the K500 is really an awesome camera and superior to competitors in its class.
The K500 was intended as an entry-level camera. There has to be a reason to upgrade to the K50 other than just WR.

Nikon forces an upgrade all the way to the 7xxx series just to be able to use older lenses...
05-26-2014, 05:40 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Ripper I think you may be looking for "catch in focus" information. I do not own a 500 but even my old k2000 had these features so I imagine the 500 does.

In addition to automation of the aperture or shutter with the correct setting the A series lenses can be used to catch in focus as you slowly twist the focus ring while holding down the shutter release. You also need to enable it in one of the menus on some models.
05-26-2014, 09:24 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Looks like I really have to look m ore closely at Catch-in-Focus. Not something I've used previously, but given the number of recommendations sounds like something I should be using. Any tips on CIF? I'll do some reading, but I am sure there are gotcha's -- like when shooting extremely shallow DOF or infinite focus scenarios. Thanks!!
05-26-2014, 11:24 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

If you know your lens infinite is always in focus at the extreme. No tricks needed. Setting the focus point to center spot make the shallow ones just a tad easier, a tripod also helps.
05-26-2014, 01:43 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Another quick question re: Catch-in Focus ...

Is there a way to quickly and simply override CIF without having to go through the menus. Is override/CIF disable something I can assign to a programmable button for quick access?

Thx!!
05-26-2014, 01:52 PM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ripper2860 Quote
Another quick question re: Catch-in Focus ...

Is there a way to quickly and simply override CIF without having to go through the menus. Is override/CIF disable something I can assign to a programmable button for quick access?

Thx!!
Switch the camera to MF. CiF only works when the camera is set to AF.
05-26-2014, 01:57 PM - 1 Like   #14

I'm not familiar with the features and functions of the K500. On my K10D there is an AF button which I have set to cancel Auto Focus. On manual focus lenses this disables focus confirmation and thus Catch-in-Focus. You may be able to to set one of the buttons to do the same on the K500.
05-26-2014, 02:09 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, not only was that fast, but 2 very good answers. Switching to MF? Doh!! Sometimes the easiest solution to a problem is the one that evades us.

As for AF button -- why yes I do have an AF/AE-L button and right now it locks exposure. I'm sure I can re-program that button, but the solution of switching to MF mode via the focus mode selector switch is the no-brainer for me. Plus I don't want to lose AE lock.

Thanks!!