Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2014, 06:50 AM   #1

Pentax K10D:

settings for long exposure i noticed on manual setting 30 seconds is the max..someone told me use Bulb setting..but i noticed when i do that it will no allow or show me the time in the lcd display ..? haven't tried the Bulb setting yet is it automatically 60 seconds or not 'still learning: thanks for any help

05-26-2014, 07:28 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good Morning and Welcome to the Forum!!

Across all the camera modes, timed exposure is capped at 30 seconds. For "B"ulb mode, the user has unlimited capability - which means you control the shutter or exposure time manually by 1) either depressing the shutter release and holding it until you release it; or 2) on a lot of the models, you can set the shutter release to press/release once to open or start, and then press and release a second time to close or stop the exposure.

With the 10D you have, there is always an external shutter release option - either IR or a wired shutter release, and you have both of them. Through using this capability, you can control the shutter with out touching the camera body (and you can also specify a 2 second delay to dampen the mirror movement). An inexpensive wired shutter release runs $5 to $10 - and you can determine the length of the exposure by the old 1 one thousand, 2 one thousand, 3 one thousand counting method. A more capable release called an inIntervalometers which runs about $30 and up, enables you to specify a shutter / exposure time (like 45 seconds, 2 minutes 38 seconds, etc.) and it will do the timing for you (all the way up to 99 hour long exposures). You can also program it to take, say - 34 images, each 2 minutes long, each image 3 minutes 12 seconds apart. Hope that helps...

Last edited by interested_observer; 05-26-2014 at 07:37 AM.
05-26-2014, 07:50 AM   #3

Original Poster
Interested_observer thanks so much i am still very new and green had the K10D since it was brand new just never took the time to experiment with it other than Autofocus modes...but i really appreciate your help..also noticed on my first attempt at Long exposure using the Pentax DA 18-55 AL II inexpensive lens that at F/16 f/22 in the daylight i was getting so much light it was all white so i guess to take long exposure in daylight you need a filter
05-26-2014, 08:14 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DSLRs are somewhat different from point and shoots in that you are provided with controls for just about everything. You can turn the mode knob at the top to Green, and the camera will act like a point and shoot, doing everything for you. All the other modes, depend on what you tell the camera.

For daylight shooting, I would just use the standard modes, P, Av, Sv, Tv, etc. If your intent is to really take long daytime exposures, yes - you can use an aperture of f16, f22, etc. That will probably not cut down the light as you have found. A Netural Density filter (and they come in a wide variety of densities, 2 stops to 10 stops, etc.) will cut down the light just for this purpose. So, lets say you take a picture at 1/8 of a second, at f8 and it comes out - but you want to slow it down. Doubling the time is equal to a stop. So 1/4 sec would be 1 stop, 1/2 sec would be 2 stops, 1 s - 3 stops, 2 s - 4 stops, 4 s - 5 stops, 8 s - 6 stops, 16 s - 7 stops, 32 s - 8 stops, 64 seconds - 9 stops, 128 seconds - 10 stops. By putting on a ND 10 stop filter, you can take the same image at 128 seconds @ f8. If it is a picture of a waterfall, the water rather than being somewhat choppy and translucent, would be smooth and have the appearance of milk. So, that is the way it works.

The 18-55 kit lens is really a pretty good lens. Stop it down to f8 and you can have some very nice sharp images with a very deep Depth of Field. There is an awful lot - actually it will do just about everything. It may not be the fastest lens, but you can do a lot with it - only limited by your imagination and creativity. Take a look at this thread - both for ideas and see if you can come up with a need that is not shown.

05-26-2014, 10:48 AM   #5

Original Poster
thanks again.interested_observer a lot of nice picks using that lens ..guess I am going to have to play with it like i said i am very green ..just trying to understand light, DOF, aperture, sensitivity, shutter speed....i have always been a hands on guy ..not one to be able to read a book and then be able to do it right away.