Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2014, 05:06 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tiffen? No thank you! I am not keen on Kenko or Hoya either.

We seem to be advocating filters either for insurance or for improving image quality. So, if you were to be insuring anything else of value, is it advisable to choose the cheapest insurance? But maybe it doesn't matter in most cases I suppose...

But because most people agree that filters can affect image quality, it seems like a good idea to research to find the best, or trust that you get what you pay for and buy the more expensive brands.

It's also worth asking second hand and thrift shops if they have any filters to sell. They usually don't value filters and you might get a job-lot for a few dollars that includes some top gear.

05-31-2014, 09:03 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by abmj Quote
Some folks have reported that they spray-painted the outside of a black lens hood to match the camera color while leaving the inside flat black to avoid reflections. I'd also suggest looking around for filters that may not be quite as expensive as the Hoya Pro 1. For example, this looks like a decent deal if you don't already have a CPL.

Tiffen 62mm Photo Twin Pack 62PTP B&H Photo Video
I have several Tiffen filters, and it's important to understand that the base models (as here, it appears) are not multicoated (or coated at all as far as I know), so they can't really be compared to a Hoya Pro 1. On the other hand, I can say that under most conditions, I couldn't tell the difference in images made with and without Tiffen filters.

I will say that my experience with Tiffen's customer service has been very positive, so I can endorse them from that standpoint.
06-01-2014, 02:16 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A friend of mine has a Sigma 17-50 2.8, he took off the UV filter and accidentally put a scratch on the front element. You put on the UV filter nowadays for protection against scratches, and scratches lower the resale price. The hood can also help. Cheap UV fiters are a good temporary protection, but latter you'll want to save up and get better quality filters.

Lenstip tested and ranked UV filters and circular polarisers:

UV filters test - Description of the results and summary - Lenstip.com

Polarizing filters test - Results and summary - Lenstip.com