Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2014, 04:53 AM   #1

What body to buy??

HI All , I would like to know what digital pentax body to buy that will take my Pentax Mz 50 lenses ?? Thanks

05-30-2014, 05:15 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Any of them, new or old, other than the Q or 645 series, Seanut.

Good situation to be in, isn't it?
05-30-2014, 05:56 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-50 if you are beginner with digital. K-30 if you want to save a little money (its same camera as K-50, just different looks and discontinued). K-5 (or the newer K-5II and K-5IIs) if you want a top tier body at a great price, K-3 if you want the latest top tier body.
But older ones will also work. I use lenses dating back to the 70s on my K-r and K-01
05-30-2014, 11:56 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Pentax has not changed the mating of the K-mount since it was introduced in 1975 or so. Any body from the original *ist D to today's modern marvel in the K-3 can use K-mount lenses. Even the *ist DL I have for sale here in the forum marketplace will work.!

05-30-2014, 03:27 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Seanut Quote
What body to buy??
Welcome to Pentax Forums!

As others have said, there are several very good Pentax cameras across a range of prices. All of them offer excellent features and performance for their price point. If you would like to share something about your favourite types of subjects and style (i.e., family pics, landscape, nature, architecture, street, etc; casual snaps or serious enthusiast), we'd be happy to give you some ideas.

What lenses do you have now?

- Craig
05-30-2014, 04:04 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you want to use manual lenses, I'd strongly suggest the K-30 or K-50, since they include the focus peaking feature. Very handy for manual focusing. If you are only using autofocus lenses, it matters less, but the K-30 and K-50 are still a great place to start.

A decent option, available used for a low price would be either the K-x or K-r (the K-r will be quite a bit better in a couple of areas, but same picture quality). A nice camera, discontinued awhile ago, but takes really nice pictures, even in low light.
05-30-2014, 05:10 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It seems to be a quickly forgotten future classic, but if the budget is tight why not seek a K-01? It will show you the quality of your lenses on digital, has a splendid sensor for its discontinued price, and will make a good backup body later on when you get your K-3!