Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2014, 06:56 AM   #1

Pentax ist d - delays in snapping picture

I have a Pentax ist d camera, and it's worked great until fairly recently. Right before the issues started, I got a low battery notification. I'm using lithium non-rechargeable batteries that were received with the camera from a seller on ebay. I tried replacing those with regular AAs (new from the package) and upon trying to turn on the camera again, I got a low battery notification and the camera shut off quickly afterwards. When I put the lithium ones back into the camera, it showed a full battery and does not turn off. However, now the shutter will delay itself and often will not take the picture unless I slowly move forward or backwards - I have no idea why this would work; maybe it has something to do with an autofocus somewhere? I'm really at a loss for why physically moving the camera forward would activate the shutter.

Is this a problem with the camera itself or do I just need to get the right type of battery? From what I've read online, regular alkaline AAs should work (but don't).

05-30-2014, 07:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

There is nothing wrong with your camera. I suspect you bumped the AF mode switch while changing batteries.

In AF.S mode, the camera will not take a picture until something is in focus. This is why moving back and forth causes it to work.

In AF.C (or M) mode, you can take a picture anytime, even if nothing is in focus.

As far as the batteries go, most cameras do not work well with alkalines. Their internal resistance is too high, and they cannot deliver high instantaneous current. If they work at all, it's usually for a very short time. I'd stick with lithiums or rechargeable NiMH.

Last edited by OregonJim; 05-30-2014 at 08:00 AM.
05-30-2014, 08:56 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
i have exclusively used rechargeable batteries with my istD. i tried in a pinch, once to use alkaline, and got about 10 shots. waste of time

as for the delays,. i agree with Jim, you must have hit the AF mode switch.
05-30-2014, 11:05 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
i have exclusively used rechargeable batteries with my istD. i tried in a pinch, once to use alkaline, and got about 10 shots. waste of time

as for the delays,. i agree with Jim, you must have hit the AF mode switch.
Yeah alkalines will get you nowhere - you need to use lithium (either rechargeable or non-rechargeables) - a set of Eneloops are relatively cheap and will work great. As to the delay in focus, I'm guessing Jim is on the right track there - I believe there is also a menu option to allow triggering with/without focus - could be when the camera ran out of juice it reset itself to defaults, so you might want to check there as well.