Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2014, 10:43 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax K5 II not working with Pentax 80-320 lens

Hiya all,
hoping someone can help. I have a Pentax 80-320 lens. However, my Pentax K5 II won't activate the shutter when that lens is on, no matter what settings I have it on. It won't activate the focusing motors of the lens either, but that's not a big problem - I can always manually focus. The fact that the camera refuses to work the shutter when that lens is on is the big problem, and makes the lens unusable. The shutter works fine with any other lens I have, or without any lens at all in place. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me with this.

05-30-2014, 12:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Is the aperture ring in the "A" position? If not, switching it to that may help if you haven't enabled shooting with manual aperture lenses (Which you could also do). Usually there's a small button you have to press to switch from "A" to aperture ring based adjustments, by the way.
05-30-2014, 12:38 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Have you set the aperture ring on the lens to A?
05-30-2014, 01:01 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd say the other posters have the fix here but I'll add that my FA 80-320 works just fine on my K5.

05-30-2014, 02:20 PM   #5
Pentaxian

If the aperture ring is in the "A" position and you still get the "F--" on screen and no autofocus, then thereŽs a plastic piece prone to damage on the FA80-320 that probably broke. You can check this by pressing the electric pins on the lens and compare how they move with a working lens and see if they return to normal position with equal strength. YouŽll have to dissasemble the whole lens to glue the broken piece (it is a piece of plastic hold by two screws that secure the electric contact pins to the mount.
05-30-2014, 02:40 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try turning the camera to AFS.C or MF instead of AF.S, because with camera on MF or AFS.C, the shutter will be released no matter what. Also, by default, the AF.S setting is set to focus priority, therefore, unless the camera AF system think it is in focus, the shutter will be locked.
04-19-2016, 09:28 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Manz thanks to all for the help!