Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-31-2014, 11:21 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
*istD displays flashing Av in all modes - Solved!

Hi - I've been shooting my old *istD with manual lenses for many years. These days I use the camera almost exclusively with completely manual K, M, & 3rd party lenses, of course using M mode & green button metering. Today I took my Zenitar 16 out with my *istD, but I get a flashing Av on the top LCD in all shooting modes, including M. I can set iso, white balance, etc on the control wheel as usual. The camera behaves this way with any manual lens that lacks contacts, except for my Vivitar 135/2.8, which has a black anodized mount. That lens has always worked with the istD, except it lacks focus confirmation in the VF. I *can* use the Vivitar in the camera's present state, along with my A, and AF lenses, which have contacts.

Anyone know what's happening here? I cleaned off the camera's contacts with a bit of rubbing alcohol, but with the same results. Again, I get a flashing Av in the top LCD, using any shooting mode with any manual lens lacking contacts. The one exception is the Vivitar 135 with the anodized mount. Thanks!

Last edited by paulh; 06-02-2014 at 01:19 PM.
06-02-2014, 10:56 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My idea is something is up with the position of the arm that moves the lens's aperture lever - possibly it moves too far now.The arm only moves between "fully open" and "fully closed" when you're using a lens without contacts. When the lens does have contacts, the arm is either "fully open" or at an intermediate position based on the aperture setting on the body. So my theory suggests some issue when it tries to move to the "fully closed" position.

When does the flashing Av happen - after a shot, or all the time?

One hole in my theory: the arm only moves to the "fully closed" position in M mode, while you see a flashing Av in all modes.

The arm isn't broken or the camera wouldn't work with an A lens. Recent exposure errors with A or newer lenses suggest a loose or worn lever.

I'll keep thinking about it. Some K10Ds had arm issues but I can't recall any other problems like this.
06-02-2014, 11:12 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Dave. The flashing Av starts as soon as the camera is turned on. I just tried using my A35/2.8, which works fine on the A setting. Setting the aperture using the ring results in the flashing Av again. As I mentioned, the only manual lens that works with stopdown metering is the Vivitar 135 with the anodized mount. Exposure seems fine using that lens in M mode. I'll keep experimenting and thanks for the suggestions.
06-02-2014, 12:52 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
You probably need to go to custom settings and set the camera to permit use of aperture ring. I believe the option you need to enable is called "F Stop other than A" on *ist-D.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-pentax-beginners-corner-q/110658-using...x-dslrs-f.html

06-02-2014, 01:18 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
You probably need to go to custom settings and set the camera to permit use of aperture ring. I believe the option you need to enable is called "F Stop other than A" on *ist-D.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-pentax-beginners-corner-q/110658-using...x-dslrs-f.html
That was the problem! Apparently, the extra cell that keeps track of the istD's settings had died, resetting the camera back to the factory settings (including not allowing aperture ring set to other than A). Well, that's a relief - I was already thinking about picking up another *ist to replace my old one. I really love this old camera Thanks Fogel & Dave for your help!
06-05-2014, 04:51 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
...the extra cell that keeps track of the istD's settings had died...
Is there an easy way to fix this?
If not: Is the reset happening every time you switch off, or only when removing the battery?
06-05-2014, 07:32 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RKKS08 Quote
Is there an easy way to fix this?
If not: Is the reset happening every time you switch off, or only when removing the battery?

The easiest fix would be to simply replace the CR2016 cell & you should be good for another 10 yrs or so.

06-11-2014, 03:07 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
The easiest fix would be to simply replace the CR2016 cell & you should be good for another 10 yrs or so.
Sorry, I forgot the *istD has an external battery for this.
I think with all other Pentax DSLRs it is some element inside the body, probably even on the main board.