Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2014, 09:46 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Select your focus point rather than using center and recomposing.

Is this the actual wedding ceremony? Or is is a portrait shoot? Because you said your friend has "just gotten married?"

06-03-2014, 06:27 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
The results...

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I remembered what I could, and did the best with the time I had. The couple had their own strong ideas of what they wanted to do for poses, etc. so I had little say in the matter. Anyway, several of you asked for some samples so here are what I feel are my top ten from the shoot. Again, I am very much an amateur, and in my opinion people and portraits have always been my weakest skill in photography. I'd much sooner photograph landscapes and architecture. Nevertheless, I wasn't too disappointed in some of these. I'd love to hear what you have to say!

Last edited by slr_neophyte; 07-30-2015 at 07:17 PM.
06-03-2014, 08:45 PM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
Select your focus point rather than using center and recomposing.

Is this the actual wedding ceremony? Or is is a portrait shoot? Because you said your friend has "just gotten married?"
Sorry for the late reply...just a portrait shoot...not the ceremony.
06-03-2014, 08:52 PM   #19
Pentaxian

It looks like you did well! The DA35/2.4 is a good lens.

One thing that might have helped on a few (but only on a few) is if you shot it at f/2.8 or f/2.4 on shots with the background close, where the background almost blends in with your friends because it's all in focus. I think this may have helped on #2, #7, and #10, but wouldn't necessarily help on the others (and might have even hurt on #9).

Of course, I often don't even realize this with my own photos until after the shoot. Nice job.

Did you try the DA55-300 or any other lens? If so, was it unable to produce results as good as these?

Last edited by DSims; 06-03-2014 at 09:02 PM.
06-03-2014, 09:53 PM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
Did you try the DA55-300 or any other lens? If so, was it unable to produce results as good as these?
I would love to have tried out some of my other lenses...but timing was a big factor. There just simply wasn't enough time for lens changes during our time there. It was also slightly overcast, and it was feeling like it could rain any minute...so we hurried to get as many as we could before getting poured on.

Thanks for your compliments and comments!

Last edited by slr_neophyte; 06-03-2014 at 09:55 PM. Reason: forgot to add something
06-03-2014, 11:27 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by slr_neophyte Quote
I would love to have tried out some of my other lenses...but timing was a big factor. There just simply wasn't enough time for lens changes during our time there. It was also slightly overcast, and it was feeling like it could rain any minute...so we hurried to get as many as we could before getting poured on.
That sky helped take care of potential lighting problems! Timing can be very important, so it's probably good you stuck with what was working.
06-04-2014, 05:09 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Those are excellent photographs!

Your lighting was excellent. A number of professional photographers here use a local park for similar photos; on sunny days they often they don't begin until it's nearly dark, to get the kind of lighting you had. They're using full-frame and 70-200/2.8, but I still don't know how they manage to handhold so late in the evening. Of course I never see the results so maybe half are blurry.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry too much about having a little extra depth of field. You can always blur the background later, but you can't sharpen one person if only the other one is in sharp focus.
06-05-2014, 06:35 PM   #23

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
Those are excellent photographs!

You can always blur the background later...
On that note, how do I blur the background later? Do I need Photoshop for that, or is that something I can do in Lightroom? Lightroom is all I have right now for any post processing.

Thanks for your compliments!

06-05-2014, 10:49 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
not bad actually.favorites are #1 and #8. 2nd photo id suggest photoshopping those branches out. they seem a bit odd sticking from behind the subjects' heads (at least for me they do). i also agree about the background, it could have been a tad bit oof. dont worry though, its something that you could do in PP. havent worked in lightroom that much,mostly photoshop. but i think it can be done with the targeted adjustment tool and reducing the clarity and then painting it in the background.

overall, you did a pretty good job. much better than my first "formal" photoshoot which was a disaster
06-06-2014, 01:44 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Good work... That DA35 is a useful little lens. I too used it for my one and only wedding (along with FA77). To me f2.8 is the magic people aperture. Nice processing of the pictures too, which can make a huge difference.