Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2014, 07:04 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Checking out a used Kr

I have a used Kr showing up in the next couple of days (Bought through Adorama), this will be my first foray into DSLR's. I am wondering what I should check out straight out of the box just to make sure that everything is alright with the camera.

06-01-2014, 07:16 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Check if the onboard flash is working. Take photos, try burst mode and single shot, and be mindful of the mirror. Does it function normally, or does it stay hanging?

And finally, check the firmware, make sure its updated to the newest one. Congratulations and good luck with your purchase!
06-01-2014, 07:57 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Make sure your control wheel functions OK. Some Kr had too much dielectric grease in it and the wheel would skip or jump. It's an easy fix if you're handy a bit. Half press shutter button also tends to stick on some. Those are Kr specific and very minor. Otherwise, like Na Horuk mentioned, check for hanging mirror (mirror may take a long time to fall back into place, not very common) and popup flash for proper operation.
06-02-2014, 03:49 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Fully charge the battery, insert a memory card into the slot and format it. check the menus appear and you can change the iso. Check the control wheel adjusts the aperture and shutter speed on demand.

Take a picture in every mode and make sure it functions, review each picture to see if they look ok and the rear screen works ok, check the histogram function works on the rear screen.

Get a measuring tape and lay it longwise stretching away from you for a distance of about 5 feet, place a bottle next to it roughly central and take a picture of the bottle to see if the autofocus locks focus and how quickly, take a picture, then review it this will show if the autofocus locks correctly and if there is a front or rear focus issue, the tape will let you read exactly how much it is front or rear focussing if an issue exists.

Set the camera to every picture mode to see it takes jpg and raw go into every menu choice you can find and adjust it then review to make sure it saves the changes correctly after every menu adjust return it to its former setting or you will quickly find the settings all out of whack.

Check the function of every button. read the manual end to end 3 times testing every setting it tells you about.

Lastly stick a pringles top in front of the lens and take a picture towards a light source through the opaque top then review the image at 100% this will show any dust on the sensor.

And if after all that every mode every menu every button functions. your good to go.

06-02-2014, 04:33 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks all, with any luck it should be here when I get off work today and I will check it out and report back.