Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2014, 10:18 AM   #1

Permanent M42 Adapter?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hallo all.

I have recently gotten my hands on a Super Takumar 50mm f1.4 and bought an M42 adapter off ebay, much like this. Everything works fine and I love the lens.
My only problem is that chaning the adapter gets on my nerves, especially getting it off the mount. I know it's a pretty irrational problem to have but I don't really like having to fiddle around with that small tool to just get the ring off everytime I want to chage to a K lens.

So my question is: Are there any "permanent" M42 adapters available? I'm thinking of something I'm screwing to my lens, along with a cap, and just leave it on there until I need it again.

06-01-2014, 10:36 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by buzzy Quote
Hallo all.

I have recently gotten my hands on a Super Takumar 50mm f1.4 and bought an M42 adapter off ebay, much like this. Everything works fine and I love the lens.
My only problem is that chaning the adapter gets on my nerves, especially getting it off the mount. I know it's a pretty irrational problem to have but I don't really like having to fiddle around with that small tool to just get the ring off everytime I want to chage to a K lens.

So my question is: Are there any "permanent" M42 adapters available? I'm thinking of something I'm screwing to my lens, along with a cap, and just leave it on there until I need it again.
Yes, sort of. Buy cheap third-party adapters from ebay (I get mine from selling "roxsen", remove the spring, and screw them onto your m42 lenses. They won't lock in when you mount them -- just a friction fit, but it works fine for most lenses (some that don't have much of a base will be problematic, but pretty much any Takumar will be fine). Use a K rear cap to remove the adapter from the lens if need be.
06-01-2014, 10:45 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
you mean on the camera or on the lens?
If you want the camera to be permanently m42, just leave the adapter on lol
If you want an m42 lens to be permanently K-mount, you have the option that von Baloney listed. There are also some threads about this, I think. If you are more serious, you can try a whole mount transplant, where you exchange the original m42 mount with a K-mount adapter. But this requires some know-how and a lot of precision - the new mount must have the same thickness as the old one or your focus will be off!

Finally, you can buy the genuine Pentax m42 adapter, which requires no tool to be removed - simply use your fingernail to gently press a little lever and it comes right off.
06-01-2014, 10:50 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Also should point out that for leaving the adapter on the lens, the cheap ones are superior for this as they fit tighter, whereas the genuine Pentax adapter is much better for leaving on the camera (with its spring intact)...

06-01-2014, 10:51 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Welcome to the Pentax Forums. I can't add much to vonBaloney's comment above except to suggest that you remove the spring from your adapter rather than risk it getting stuck on the camera. "Fiddly" today may well become "impossible" tomorrow. As for the friction fit with the spring removed, some users have solved that by drilling or notching the lens base to engage the lock pin on the body. How well this works depends somewhat on the diameter of the lens base.

Of course, there is also the option of the genuine Pentax adapter. It is easy to remove (no tool needed) and I have never heard of one getting stuck on a camera. Expensive? Yes. Worth the money? Absolutely, if you shoot with M42 lenses with any regularity.

Steve
06-01-2014, 10:55 AM   #6

Original Poster
Alright, thanks for the responses. The adapter I bought was pretty much the cheapest one I found on ebay so I might try the first idea you had.
I assume a normal K lens rear cap would fit on it just for covering purposes when it's not mounted? Because the cap that came with the Takumar is obviously designed to be screwed on the lens directly.
06-01-2014, 11:41 AM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Alright, thanks for the responses. The adapter I bought was pretty much the cheapest one I found on ebay so I might try the first idea you had.
I assume a normal K lens rear cap would fit on it just for covering purposes when it's not mounted? Because the cap that came with the Takumar is obviously designed to be screwed on the lens directly.
There are m42 body caps out there if you want to keep the adapter on your camera permanently.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-01-2014, 01:35 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
There are m42 body caps out there if you want to keep the adapter on your camera permanently.
No, not on the camera, on the lens.

Are there any caps that I can fit over the lens+adapter?
06-01-2014, 02:00 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just superglue them to the lens, doesn't take much but wipe the threads with alcohol first.
06-01-2014, 02:12 PM   #10
Veteran Member

No, not on the camera, on the lens.

Are there any caps that I can fit over the lens+adapter?
You can buy either genuine Pentax or off-brand rear K-mount lens caps easily and they fit just like any other K-mount rear lens caps.

Lens Caps | B&H Photo Video
06-01-2014, 02:20 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I always get these rear K mount caps if I need any. Look like original Pentax to me and are much cheaper.
06-01-2014, 03:38 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Yeah, just a K mount rear cap -- you'll need it to easily get off the adapter too. (Otherwise you'll have to mount it to a body and unscrew)
06-02-2014, 12:03 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DeepThrob Quote
I just superglue them to the lens, doesn't take much but wipe the threads with alcohol first.
I'd be wary of superglue near any optics.

Superglue fumes have a wonderful habit of adhering to glass and either making it cloudy, or becoming a perfect coating to let dust specks become glue on.
06-02-2014, 08:09 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hks_kansei Quote
I'd be wary of superglue near any optics.

Superglue fumes have a wonderful habit of adhering to glass and either making it cloudy, or becoming a perfect coating to let dust specks become glue on.
I haven't glued any of these adapters on, but I've used the gel-type superglue to glue down aperture pins on m42 lenses without an auto-man switch. Done it lots of times, never any trouble. (Anything that remains a little sticky after it dries dab a bit of baby powder on it -- will never be sticky again.)