Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2014, 07:44 PM   #1

Pentax MG

Hello,

I recently discovered my dads Pentax MG and decided to load it with some film. I put new batteries in the camera and looked through the shutter to make sure everything with the electronics was working fine. Now I press the shutter button down and nothing happens. The shutter doesn't move/click. Just wondering what this problem could be.

06-01-2014, 08:52 PM   #2

Original Poster
06-01-2014, 10:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Did you cock the shutter with the film advance lever?

If the mode dial is set to 100X, the shutter will fire even without batteries, but you still have to cock it after every shot.
06-01-2014, 10:11 PM   #4

Original Poster
Yeah I did cock the shutter with lever Even without film in it the camera won't shoot.?

I've noticed when the back of the camera is off and I'm advancing the film the shutter moves slightly, but thats about it. It seems pretty dead

06-01-2014, 10:13 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bwinward Quote
Yeah I did cock the shutter with lever Even without film in it the camera won't shoot.?

I've noticed when the back of the camera is off and I'm advancing the film the shutter moves slightly, but thats about it. It seems pretty dead
That sounds normal - you will see the shutter move when you use the film wind lever.

Did you try the 100X mode? That will eliminate any problems with the batteries & electronics.
06-01-2014, 10:17 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
That sounds normal - you will see the shutter move when you use the film wind lever.

Did you try the 100X mode? That will eliminate any problems with the batteries & electronics.
Yep still doesn't work in 100x mode.
06-01-2014, 11:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Yep still doesn't work in 100x mode.
Then it sounds like you have a bad shutter.

If the camera hasn't been used in years, it's possible that the lubricants have gotten viscous or gummy. A professional cleaning is in order. It's not something you can do yourself.
06-02-2014, 12:24 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
Then it sounds like you have a bad shutter.

If the camera hasn't been used in years, it's possible that the lubricants have gotten viscous or gummy. A professional cleaning is in order. It's not something you can do yourself.
Thought that this would be the case. Might just buy another from eBay. Such a cool little camera though.

06-02-2014, 12:40 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Thought that this would be the case. Might just buy another from eBay. Such a cool little camera though.
Yeah, it is a cool little camera. The MG was fairly uncommon, though. You might be better off looking for an ME Super or a Program Plus.
06-02-2014, 04:23 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree, look for a ME Super and I would go further back and grab a K1000 if I were looking for a film rig. The ME is basically the same camera, but only works as Aperture Priority. The ME Super lets you switch out of auto and use it fully manual. I have used a couple of each and the metering in mine seemed to work pretty well.