Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2014, 11:39 PM   #16

Original Poster
Well, whoopie do. How am I supposed to test that then if the camera doesn't use the aperture actuator when the lens is off?

06-02-2014, 11:51 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Signet Quote
Well, whoopie do. How am I supposed to test that then if the camera doesn't use the aperture actuator when the lens is off?
Firstly the actuator in the camera is not springy indeed - don't try and use force to move it !! It was springy in film cameras though.

Now to see how it's moving unmount the lens and simple use the power switch levar to stop down the lens ( there is one position afyer ON which means optical DOF preview ) - this should move the actuator up . If it doesn't there is something wrong with the camera - if it does - examine how it looks like and check the the photo posted earlier if your looks the same - perhaps it's damaged, Look for any marks or evidence of the tinkering in that area.
' >' manntax

Last edited by manntax; 06-03-2014 at 01:35 AM.
06-03-2014, 03:11 AM   #18

Original Poster
Hmm. The actuator goes all the way up when I move past "on" to, er, whatever that's called. (the preview-thing-taker. I only use it when setting color balance.)
Similarly, though, when the lens is on, the aperture goes completely tight. Now, that seems to be the usual sound for when I move the switch there when the camera's not in a mode that would cause that action to take a picture. (Again, color balance photo preview.) That made me think of something: What if the actuator is fine, and it's simply being told by the camera/sensor/software to tighten up the aperture?
06-03-2014, 05:55 AM   #19
Veteran Member

What if the actuator is fine, and it's simply being told by the camera/sensor/software to tighten up the aperture?
Yes it is possible that there is something faulty within the electronics - just set the camera to M, set aperture to wide open ( on body ) and see if while you taking the shot aperture stays this way on the lens. if not and you will see the aperture clearly stopping all the way down - then there is 100% something wrong with this camera and I would return it.
' >' manntax

06-03-2014, 06:55 AM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by manntax Quote
just set the camera to M, set aperture to wide open ( on body ) and see if while you taking the shot aperture stays this way on the lens.
Set a long shutter speed so that you can see the movement clearly.

Steve
06-03-2014, 12:24 PM   #21

Original Poster
I already did those actions - in the initial problem-seeking. No dice.
Lemme try again... Yup. Same. Sounds like I'm pretty well screwed, huh?
06-03-2014, 12:39 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I already did those actions - in the initial problem-seeking. No dice. Lemme try again... Yup. Same. Sounds like I'm pretty well screwed, huh?
make sure you do the same checking steps with another lens ! If the problem continues to persist - simple contact the seller and demand your money on ground of it not being as described .
' >' manntax
06-04-2014, 08:25 PM   #23
Veteran Member

This sounds suspiciously like the known issue that plagues some Pentax cameras notably the k30, After about 15000 actuations they go faulty. The symptoms are, the camera behaves normally until the shutter is pressed, then the lens closes the aperture all the way down to minimum aperture, and takes the shot wildly underexposed. The aperture then opens fully.

The camera thinks it is behaving normally, its the aperture control that is malfunctioning.

Try this test take a normal shot at iso 100 and allow the camera to take a wildly underexposed image. As it takes the image observe the aperture through the lens, if it stops down all the way to minimum aperture look at the image details.

If this is the fault the image details will say f8 or f3.5 or something reasonable, while you actually observed f16. In other words the camera is behaving correctly and trying to only partially close the aperture but the aperture is closing fully.

This is fairly consistent with the behaviour you have noted with lengthy exposures and full stopdown of the aperture for every shot.

Most cameras affected by this fault take the first image underexposed and then subsequent images taken immediately after are exposed normally but randomly the fault recurs. its unusual for all images to be affected but by no means inconceivable. Try taken a series of shots and see if any in the sequence are taken normally. This would confirm the fault.

The only fix known at this time if it is this issue is an expensive repair replacing all the electronic internals costing 300 dollars.

Is it possible that this camera was sold on by an unscrupulous owner who didn't want to pony up for the repair. If this is the case it should be returned.

06-04-2014, 09:57 PM   #24
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Imageman Quote
This sounds suspiciously like the known issue that plagues some Pentax cameras notably the k30
I have been active on this forum for a number of years and don't recall any such plague.* At the very least, I am pretty sure there is no pattern of this sort of issue on the K10D. I purchased mine new in 2007 and joined this forum a few months later and have been active on K10D-related matters ever since.

I believe that the general consensus is that the OP's camera is broken and should be returned to the seller.

Edit: I found the source of the plague rumor:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/120-general-technical-troubleshooting/229...e-problem.html

There was a flurry of shutter actuator issues reported by K-30 owners over about a six month period starting about a year ago. About ten users reported similar symptoms during that time on the thread above. I sort of monitor the K-30/K-50 area since I have a friend with a K-50 and except for some complaints about meter bias and underexposure, I don't know that I remember seeing anything about this in the last couple of months.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-04-2014 at 10:12 PM.