Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2014, 12:28 AM   #1

Worried my K10D is giving up the ghost....

I got my K10D about 6 years ago. It has almost 14,000 actuations.
In the last year or two it's seen lighter use, because I have had less time for photo shoots, but also because I have had some issues. I assumed I was "losing my touch" so to speak, but now the issues are just getting blatant.
The last few shoots have seen some significant focus issues pretty consistently, even with fixed lenses (a 50mm f/1.4 lens and a 100mm f/2.8 macro) and even when the subjects, such as two people next to each other, are standing on the same plane, I may have one person in focus, and the other is soft. Some chromatic aberration accompanies far more of the photos, and even at a low ISO, such as 200, I am getting more noise than in the past. Is this my sensor going out? Is something misaligned? I will admit that at some point, though I don't know how or when, it must have been dropped or injured, as there is also a little chunk of the body (about 1/2 inch by 1/8 inch) that has broken off below the screen and lets out a bit of light. Though, the issues were already beginning and worsening before this happened.

So, sorry that was long! All to ask this:
1) Is this possibly user error (even though I've been shooting a long time and the issues are more recent?)
2) If it's an issue with the camera, what is the likely culprit?
3) If it is a camera issue, is it fixable with limited cost, or am I looking at purchasing a new body?

Thank you so much for any help or advice!

06-02-2014, 04:09 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Given that the problems occur with both lenses, it is unlikely to be a lens issue per se. The focus issues you describe sound like the sensor is no longer aligned with the lens correctly. This could be the sensor itself, or the lens mount. The broken off chunk of body probably represents a very sharp and hard hit. I would guess sensor, which might explain the noise issue. Repair would probably cost way more than replacement (a used K10D is pretty cheap), even if you upgrade to something newer.
06-02-2014, 04:14 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Before you try anything else - make sure that your battery is fully charged and not giving up - check with another battery . I have all sort of issues with my camera - including blurry bad shots - all due to battery either weak or dying. It has something to do with the fact that sensor isn't fixed in those cameras but is floating on electromagnets in order to compensate the camera shake.
14,000 shots for K10D is just a warming up I say - my has well over 20 k actuations and is working flawlessly , but then again I have 4 genuine batteries for it to never run our of juice. So before you do anything else- check the battery
' >' manntax
06-02-2014, 07:58 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by KierraElizabeth Quote
I don't know how or when, it must have been dropped or injured, as there is also a little chunk of the body (about 1/2 inch by 1/8 inch) that has broken off below the screen
As noted above, your shutter count is pretty low, but an impact severe enough to break the polycarbonate shell is traditionally a death blow to most cameras and the most likely cause for the problems you are seeing. Based on your description of the problem, potential sources may include:
  • Lens mount no longer properly aligned
  • In-body shake reduction no longer powered resulting in the sensor just laying there
  • Internal breakage or deformation resulting in sensor misalignment
  • Etc. Etc. Etc.
In regards to repair, it is likely that the minimum would be about $200 USD. Given the value of the camera, I would suggest that finding a replacement might be your best alternative.

Steve

06-02-2014, 08:07 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you very much for your replies.
Manntax--I have three genuine batteries and often use an additional battery pack, so I think I am okay as far as battery is concerned, but I will also do a comparison with a fully charged vs a weak one in case this cheap and easy fix is the cause.
Bron-nite and Stevebrot--thank you very much for the information. This is mostly what I feared. Admittedly, it's always fun looking for an upgrade, no? Just not always fun parting with the money to do so.
06-02-2014, 04:52 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I agree with the excellent comments above namely that

1 the issues are mostly lens issues and more than one lens is affected so this points strongly to the camera as the issue, and suggests the sensor is now out of alignment and maybe damaged in some way.

2 the camera has a lump knocked off the case and an impact strong enough to do that will break the camera internally explaining what caused the internal sensor damage

You cant remember it happening and you say that the problems started before it happened.

I suggest that maybe this happened.

Some time ago maybe some considerable time ago, the camera was dropped or hit something hard enough to smash a lump off the case. but being polycarbonate it hung on to the case and you didn't notice the cracks but the damage was done and the camera was damaged. The problems began then.

Over the next several months as you used the camera the flexing of the case during handling loosened the broken piece until finally it dropped off.

That's when you noticed the damage and you didn't connect it with the faults simply because you hadn't noticed the damage until the moment it fell off.

Testing will reveal the truth, take pictures of a flat wall with all your lenses, if all the images show different areas in focus when they should all be in focus across the image its pretty conclusive.

Borrow a different camera and repeat the flat wall test using your own lenses and then youll know the truth.

As has been suggested sensor damage isn't the only internal camera damage that could have happened, I zeroed in on that simply because it seems the most likely explanation.