Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-03-2014, 02:41 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K5II issue?

Just picked up a K5II - I do not have a manual, so checked out the one on line and I do not see what I am looking for.

The issue is: I usually set the focus selection lever to SEL so that I can move the focus where I want. When in the SEL position, the four buttons with the timer, WB, flash and color adjust do NOT work. If I move the focus selector switch to either the center (up) or AUTO (down) then the four buttons work and I can then do mirror lock up or whatever. Is this normal or not right.

Just for Info I am coming from a K20D. Thanks.

06-03-2014, 02:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

not sure about the K5ii but on the K5, holding the OK button for about a second (it'll beep) will toggle the four buttons between focus point select and timer/wb/...
06-03-2014, 02:57 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DblArrow Quote
Just picked up a K5II - I do not have a manual, so checked out the one on line and I do not see what I am looking for.

The issue is: I usually set the focus selection lever to SEL so that I can move the focus where I want. When in the SEL position, the four buttons with the timer, WB, flash and color adjust do NOT work. If I move the focus selector switch to either the center (up) or AUTO (down) then the four buttons work and I can then do mirror lock up or whatever. Is this normal or not right.

This is normal, and fgaudet posted the solution It's to be expected when one set of buttons servers multiple purposes.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-03-2014, 03:06 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
This is normal, and fgaudet posted the solution It's to be expected when one set of buttons servers multiple purposes.
Ok thanks, will look it up.

06-03-2014, 07:15 PM   #5

Location: Rainforest of Canada Vancouver Island and the sagebrush of southern Okanagan, BC
QuoteOriginally posted by DblArrow Quote

Hi, after many attempts to install the 1.03 firmware upgrade on my K3 it finally uploaded. Now trying the upgrade from 1.00 to 1.07 on my K5II with no success. I followed the instructions to press the menu button and turn on the camera. The message I get is K5II firmware ver. 1.00, the upgraded version does not kick in. Any suggestions? Leaving for Thailand, Laos, Viet Nam and Cambodia in 25 days and would like this resolved
06-03-2014, 09:43 PM   #6
Veteran Member

How is this helping in any way to answer the OPs question that you even quote with your post??
There are plenty of Firmware threads you could post in rather than hijacking an unrelated thread.
eg ► https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/120-general-technical-troubleshooting/253...ible-bugs.html
06-04-2014, 07:43 PM   #7

Location: Rainforest of Canada Vancouver Island and the sagebrush of southern Okanagan, BC
Pentax K5II issues?

Mr. Ledger,
Many thanks for your swift and curt response. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I see I was the second to last to post here, you being the last to reply to me. I had no intent on "hijacking" anyone. I thought the thread had to do with K5II issues (which I do have) and was hoping for a warmer response from forum members and any suggestions/ideas to resolve this issue.

06-05-2014, 06:00 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Unlike other camera firmware the K5 ll or lls download file is an executable file which will unpack the necessary .bin file for the firmware update. Download or copy the .exe file to the root directory of your SD card not into the DCIM folder then while the card is in your card reader and plugged into your computer use it to execute the file so the .bin file unpacks and remains in the root directory. Then your camera menu should activate the firmware update.
06-05-2014, 06:26 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
Unlike other camera firmware the K5 ll or lls download file is an executable file which will unpack the necessary .bin file for the firmware update. Download or copy the .exe file to the root directory of your SD card not into the DCIM folder then while the card is in your card reader and plugged into your computer use it to execute the file so the .bin file unpacks and remains in the root directory. Then your camera menu should activate the firmware update.
Just did this update myself -

I just ran the .exe on the computer and copied the .bin to the SD card and worked fine.
06-05-2014, 05:50 PM   #10

pentax K5II issues?

Many thanks Oldbayrunner and Dblarrow for your reply.
I have to admit that the K3 download of firmware 1.03 has improved some stability issues since purchased November 2013.
My K5II is working fine on firmware 1.00 but as Pentax Forums recently sent out a 1.07 update thought I would give it a try. I will attempt the upgrade one more time before I leave in 22 days for Thailand etc. If no luck, will wait for my return to fiddle and diddle.

asahi67