Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2014, 10:20 PM   #1

Pentax K-30 Problems. Won't turn on.

Alright, I've read all the threads about previous experiences with the same thing happening.

So here's what I've done so far.

I did a photoshoot of an s2k, 70 degrees outside at night(perfect temperature, not below 30degrees or above 90degrees, or as stated in the manual) Camera worked perfectly fine. Did not drop it or anything whatsoever. The Li-on battery was just charged. No I'm not using a third party battery, nor am I using a third party charger.

The next day I'm about to shoot, I try to turn the camera on and nothing happens. I fidget with it for awhile and still nothing.
Took out the battery, put it back in.
Removed the lens and put it back on,
Removed the SD Card and put it back in.
The red light wasn't even blinking to show that the SD Card was read.
I took out the battery, put it in the charger until the light shut off.
Put it back in the camera, nothing.

So please tell me that there's some secret combination of buttons that would be equal to ctrl + alt + delete on the camera or something.

---------- Post added 06-04-14 at 10:22 PM ----------

I've been with pentax for about 4 or 5 years now and I've been having constant problems with my camera and quite frankly I'm starting to get sick of constant instances where I have to mail my camera to get it repaired and be without a camera for at least 2 months. I'm sorry, but If there's just no other way then I guess I'm going to be done with pentax.

06-04-2014, 10:27 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by steezylistic Quote
Alright, I've read all the threads about previous experiences with the same thing happening.

So here's what I've done so far.

I did a photoshoot of an s2k, 70 degrees outside at night(perfect temperature, not below 30degrees or above 90degrees, or as stated in the manual) Camera worked perfectly fine. Did not drop it or anything whatsoever. The Li-on battery was just charged. No I'm not using a third party battery, nor am I using a third party charger.

The next day I'm about to shoot, I try to turn the camera on and nothing happens. I fidget with it for awhile and still nothing.
Took out the battery, put it back in.
Removed the lens and put it back on,
I took out the battery, put it in the charger until the light shut off.
Put it back in the camera, nothing.

So please tell me that there's some secret combination of buttons that would be equal to ctrl + alt + delete on the camera or something.

---------- Post added 06-04-14 at 10:22 PM ----------

I've been with pentax for about 4 or 5 years now and I've been having constant problems with my camera and quite frankly I'm starting to get sick of constant instances where I have to mail my camera to get it repaired and be without a camera for at least 2 months. I'm sorry, but If there's just no other way then I guess I'm going to be done with pentax.
Sorry to hear that you've been having so many issues! Just one last thing to check- when you replaced the battery after charging it, was it facing the right way? Also, have you tried AA's?

Could also be the power switch, perhaps.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-04-2014, 11:06 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by steezylistic Quote
This happens for one of two reasons:
[1] Card door is not closed properly
[2] Card is dead/faulty

Camera won't turn on until a good card is detected and/or door is properly closed.
06-04-2014, 11:23 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
[2] Card is dead/faulty

Camera won't turn on until a good card is detected and/or door is properly closed.
You can eliminate the card as the problem by powering on without a card (with the door closed, as Steve said).

06-05-2014, 11:04 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
You can eliminate the card as the problem by powering on without a card (with the door closed, as Steve said).
Yes, I've tried that.

---------- Post added 06-05-14 at 11:06 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Sorry to hear that you've been having so many issues! Just one last thing to check- when you replaced the battery after charging it, was it facing the right way? Also, have you tried AA's?

Could also be the power switch, perhaps.
1. The battery would not go in if I tried puting it the opposite direction
2. I have the k-30 which does not come with the AA cartridge to put batteries in.
- Therefore, I shouldn't need to buy another product that didn't come with it just to see if it works.

---------- Post added 06-05-14 at 11:06 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
[2] Card is dead/faulty

Like what Jim said, I tried turning it on without the SD. Still nothing.
06-05-2014, 06:19 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
You don't mention how much you have used your battery or if you have more than one. With the SD card ruled out (the camera won't work without one, but it will power up to tell you this, or that the door is open), the highest probability is the battery.

Yeah I read what you said about charging it, but all that charge light means is the charger couldn't stuff anything more into the battery. It does not mean you have a battery that can still hold a sufficient charge to power the camera. LiON batteries can only be recharged so many times and then they must be replaced. Assuming no abusive practices, and I don't sense that is the case, a single charge is defined as the difference between fully charged and no longer able to operate the camera. So, two half-charges count as a single charge.

How many charges is the battery good for? Frankly, I don't know because I much prefer Sanyo enelopp AA batteries and haven't bothered to check the rated life of the stock LiON battery. But there is one more factor to consider. Some batteries just die for no apparent reason, and with LiON batteries in particular, that death can be a tad dramatic. Did you hear about the BIG recall of LiON notebook batteries a few years ago? Some of them spontaneously caught fire. And the brand new Boeing 787 Dreamliner was grounded for a couple months due to problems with an on-board LiON battery.

You need to try a different (new) battery. I am NOT trying to tell you that you should buy the AA adapter, nor for that matter was Adam. IF you have an adapter, a set of easily obtained AA batteries is a cheap test. Don't have or want the AA adapter? Cool. Then you need to purchase another LiON battery, charge it and give that a try.

Then, and only then, if your camera still fails to power up should you think about sending your camera in for repair.
06-06-2014, 12:52 PM   #7

Original Poster
So I charged it again, It works. For now . I'm pretty relieved, but hopefully this is just a minor issue.

Thanks guys.

I bought 2 extra battery packs and a charger. As well as the battery holder.

07-13-2014, 10:07 AM   #8

Interested to know if this has happened again. Happened to me a couple of times, although always works again after the recharge. Only occasional, but seems that the battery suddenly drains power for no obvious reason. Anyone else?
07-13-2014, 10:45 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Just to note, with my K-30 and the pentax battery charge, I've noticed the battery does not sometimes push into the charger enough to maintain charging. Almost as if it were a bit loose. I can "push" the battery towards the contacts and the charge light will light up. I never really worried too much about this as after the first week I just use an elastic to hold the battery in place. Note that I do have 2 pentax brand batteries but have never checked to see if this happens with both.