Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2014, 01:57 PM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Imageman Quote
Googling k10d and batteries shows others experience of buying third party batteries off ebay.

One user says he gets 500 shots from a genuine pentax battery but only 5 shots from a third party battery. This is an extreme case but it does suggest that this third party battery you have although new is still suspect if third party batteries can be this poor.

I would still assume its a battery issue and try to check the camera using a known good battery.

I don't see an easy way of testing the battery and is it worth buying a battery simply to discover the camera is indeed faulty and you just bought a battery you cannot now use.

No camera testing facilities in the whole of portugal means your stuck.

One option might be to bite the bullet and buy another third party battery if theyr cheap enough but your likely to end up in the same position.

Another option might be to write the camera off and buy a replacement off ebay that uses the same battery k200 or whatever, I don't know which models do.

The chances are it will come with a battery, and you then have 2 cameras in which to test batteries and a backup camera. If your third party battery fails in the second camera the battery is the problem, and if the k200 battery works in the k10d the camera was fine.

Its no solution but at least you know what was wrong and the money hasn't been wasted, and maybe you can sell one of the cameras on later after the test if you don't want a second body.

I cannot believe that in the whole of Portugal there is nobody capable of telling you that either a battery or a camera is faulty. That's like having no tv repair men or no car repair garages.

A camera shop surely should be able to tell you the battery works in your camera if they want to sell you a battery, maybe its worth asking them to test a pentax battery in your camera before purchase, and if pentax batteries are truly much better than third party ones maybe that's worth doing.

On the other hand, a drive to spain if they have a camera repairer there might be worth it, you get a mini break and some pictures out of the deal. I really cant think of anything else to suggest here. Id probably go for the option of buying another k10d off ebay or a similar camera that comes with a battery and it must use the same battery model, and keep it as a second body for testing or in case the first k10d fails down the line.
The last option is in deed the best one, i'm almost going on vacation and i'm really tempted going to Spain, in Portugal there are excelente (retired) camera experts, but the problema is getting the parts, if there are need of them.

I've tested all the possibliities, and with a good battery, fully charged i had the same problem as with the others, i would love to have a second body working.

I tought of disassembling the body myself and trying to find what's the problem, but that's in fact the worst idea of all!!!

I will find the problem, with the help, of an expert, and after that i will tell you all what was the problem!!!

Thanks a lot!!