Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2014, 11:43 AM   #1

Digital photo frame recommendation

I'd like to purchase a large digital photo frame for my family room...enjoy some of my newbie photos and flubs as I go down the path of learning. Can anyone recommend a good digital photo frame? I've looked at previous posts but they are a couple of years old. I have looked at them on the net but I'm not able to judge quality from the limited info.
Or...is there a way to turn a digital TV into a photo frame?

Thanks - I'm looking forward to leaning more about this.

06-06-2014, 11:51 AM   #2

Some TV's do have this feature. You might also look into a DVD player that has a usb port. I have a pioneer unit that I can put pics on a flash drive and then play them as a slide show on my TV. It's great for partys and family events.
06-06-2014, 12:00 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Welcome to PF, Shakey.

Many TVs have a USB port. Look at the back and sides (or, gasp, read the manual). Copy JPG images onto a USB memory stick, plug it into the TV, and the TV will play a slideshow. Details vary from TV to TV.

Many digital photo frames are cheaply made and have low quality displays compared to high def TVs. Buyer beware.
06-06-2014, 12:43 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Shakey Quote
.is there a way to turn a digital TV into a photo frame?
As the two previous posters have mentioned, all you need is a USB port to put a memory stick with your photos on it. Many Blu-ray players will also work as media players, giving you an easy way to connect to Netflix, etc. as well as displaying your digital photos, and for us old fogeys who like to play discs instead of streaming, they will play movies as well. Or if you are looking for an excuse to upgrade your TV, go buy a "smart" TV. Smart Blu-ray players start at $70, so that's probably your best bang for your money.

06-06-2014, 02:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Raspberri Pi. It's a full-blown Linux computer, the size of a cigarette pack, for $25. HDMI out, USB, plus an SD card slot. And, you can run XBMC on it for multimedia. An extra $10 gets you Ethernet.

Raspberry Pi
06-08-2014, 02:16 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I keep checking back into digital photo frames and keep being disappointed. The ones with apparently a reasonable screen and a handful of features cost more than a new laptop or tablet. The laptop or tablet has all the connectivity and storage features, and with free software is more flexible displaying shots. If you had an older tablet, it might work a lot better.
06-08-2014, 05:08 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I got a ten inch samsung three years ago for the fiancee, it looks great sitting in its box.

but when it was in use, two houses ago... It was awesome. Great for the office area where a tv was not practical.

A coworker of mine has some Sony seven inch, it looks like crap. That is probably due to the photos on it though

06-08-2014, 05:14 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Like all things here - discussion of what to buy - everyone jumps in with opinions based on their own experience and objectives.

I use the 50" TV as the best way to blow the pictures up big, but I use it like the old 35mm slide show - it is an event.

The small frames are suitable for continuous display as a reminder or atmosphere creator (but not an artwork).

So, what is it for?
06-08-2014, 06:19 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Like all things here - discussion of what to buy - everyone jumps in with opinions based on their own experience and objectives.

I use the 50" TV as the best way to blow the pictures up big, but I use it like the old 35mm slide show - it is an event.

The small frames are suitable for continuous display as a reminder or atmosphere creator (but not an artwork).

So, what is it for?
I had intended to use it for continuous play...maybe an 18" so I could actually see it from a chair 8-10' away. I thought I would change photos periodically. We have the Kodak type that people can email photos to but its really small...maybe 7".
06-08-2014, 07:01 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are a few options for HDTV's under 20 inches diagonally (Samsung makes a 18.5/19" LED TV that accepts HDMI and USB inputs), or if you have an computer that isn't being used for anything else, you could connect it to a 18.5 inch monitor, which are relatively inexpensive. Media players typically only have HDMI outputs, which limits your options for a smaller monitor to connect it to. The aspect ratio will typically be 16:9 which means you will have either wide borders on the sides or serious distortion and/or cropping of your 4:3 photos.
06-08-2014, 07:10 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
The aspect ratio will typically be 16:9 which means you will have either wide borders on the sides or serious distortion and/or cropping of your 4:3 photos
Unless you utilize the Ken Burns Effect between transitions.
06-08-2014, 11:59 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
Unless you utilize the Ken Burns Effect between transitions.

My 50" TV presents the pictures in the aspect ratio of the picture. In practice the height of the frame is the limiting factor for both landscape and portraits. I will try it one day on a non-standard aspect ratio picture and see what happens.