Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2014, 10:53 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Adjusting K-50 AF module

Up until recently I really thought that most of my lenses werent in need of calibration. I had done some quick tests and they seemed ok but only recently I had actually taken the time to set up some focus charts and test them properly.
All of my lenses seem to be set on +8 or +9 in order to AF to be accurate and get really sharp photos. It seems that the in camera AF module is a bit off. it seems that the tolerance range needs to be shifted in the negative direction. At some point, i might actually attempt to adjust the AF module in the camera, just not too sure how to go about it. has anyone attempted this?
I found an article on the k10D on how to do it, but im not sure if it works the same way on newer models.

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: Hardware Adjust a Pentax DSLR for the AF

is it the same for the k-30/k-50 ??

06-07-2014, 11:09 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Page 112 of your user manual has instructions on applying per lens calibration (Apply One) or universal calibration (Apply All). This is C/21 in the setup menu. There was some discussion on another thread regarding whether a change applied to all would require a re-do of existing per lens calibrations. Have fun!

Steve
06-07-2014, 11:14 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Page 112 of your user manual has instructions on applying per lens calibration (Apply One) or universal calibration (Apply All). This is C/21 in the setup menu. There was some discussion on another thread regarding whether a change applied to all would require a re-do of existing per lens calibrations. Have fun!

Steve
ive already done that for each lens one by one.what im asking is if i can adjust the cameras hardware
06-07-2014, 11:20 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by schnitzer79 Quote
I found an article on the k10D on how to do it, but im not sure if it works the same way on newer models.
I'm sure there is a similar adjustment in the K-50, but you're on your own to find it. I would be concerned with compromising the weather sealing.

06-07-2014, 11:57 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Good point oregonjim. Hadnt thought about that
06-07-2014, 08:23 PM   #6
Site Supporter

ive already done that for each lens one by one.what im asking is if i can adjust the cameras hardware
If you do the "Apply All" you are doing the what can be accomplished through the firmware. I would suggest that as the first step. If you want to have the AF module realigned, that can be done too, but $$$. As OregonJim suggests, doing it yourself is probably not a good idea, particularly since the adjustment would be a few tenths of a millimeter at most and there is a significant risk of the module not being true after the adjustment and it is unlikely that you will find the hardware similar to what is pictured in RiceHigh's three year-old post and it will void what is left of your warranty.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-07-2014 at 08:31 PM.
06-08-2014, 12:22 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
you're probably right. ill just live with it since +8 for most lenses is fine, apart from my sigma which needs +4. its just bugging me a little knowing that the AF module is off. it seems that the camera's and lenses' tolerances are both on the + side. i would send it off since its still under warranty but last time i sent my camera out for an aperture arm replacement, it took 2 months. plus it might come back worse than it was before.

ive only tried the focus tests at maximum aperture and these were at 50 x focal length. dont know what results i will get for distant objects and narrower aperture. the quick tests i did a couple of months ago showed that the lenses were ok.of course, those were rushed and hand held. is it possible that the firmware update to v1.02 might have changed anything in respect to the focusing?
06-08-2014, 08:10 AM   #8
Site Supporter

its just bugging me a little knowing that the AF module is off.
It would bother me as well. I would hope that factory calibration would not result in that large a bias.

Steve